News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: HEEEELP!!  (Read 17134 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: HEEEELP!!
« Reply #15 on: 15, October, 2009 - 22:12:49 »
Hey don't worry, your talking to a bloke that put the rear wheel on wrong !!!

you should see it, i'll take a photo of mine tomorrow and post it on here for you.

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #16 on: 15, October, 2009 - 22:27:55 »
Top man.  I will try and locate what you show me.

Thanks.

Now, how to repair the brake handle?  I pulled the parking brake in the usual way, but it disconnected from the handle.  Has the cable simply snapped or disconnected I wonder.

Blimey, if it's not one thing it's another!

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 15, October, 2009 - 22:37:28 »
Lol that happened to me to !!

In my case the cable snapped from the end piece that fits in the handle.  If you take the complete cable - inner and outer to a bike shop they will sort you out.

Unless Karl sells them from the shop of course as they will be the correct length, and you will be supporting the club.

Karl

« Reply #18 on: 16, October, 2009 - 08:01:50 »
Brake cables are always the one thing we all seem to neglect - probably coz they seem to last forever , but when they snap it can have quite serious consequences (as the Welsh run proved April 08  :o)

Replacement sets of brake cables are available on the shop side of the site ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=78&osCsid=9b7f76644ba162a90be6fa6d4f26d137

Offline mike7201

« Reply #19 on: 16, October, 2009 - 18:37:20 »
Right...  Please tell me these are the photos which will show you what you need to see???

I noticed that when I powered up under no strain, there were no issues.  With the wheel off it was fine.  With the wheel on and the C5 propped up, the wheel turned with ease.  When the wheel touched the floor, the grinding started.  I felt the belt afterwards and it was quite warm.  Hmmm...

What now guys?

Karl, I will purchase the C5Alive cables, but do they come with instructions for the stupid, as I am so useless, I'll need all the help I can get when it comes to fixing...!
« Last Edit: 16, October, 2009 - 18:53:49 by mike7201 »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #20 on: 16, October, 2009 - 19:01:24 »
Hi not sure if i'm seeing things here but is the tyre on the rim ?

Offline mike7201

« Reply #21 on: 16, October, 2009 - 19:05:39 »
Haven't a clue.  Is it??

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 16, October, 2009 - 20:38:44 »
Sorry for not posting the pictures, but I had visitors this morning. Non of your pictures show what I need to see.

So far the only one that shows it is Karls picture. In it you can see a black metal strip just in front of the motor. This is the motor mod bracket and sits infront of the fence and keeps it under the gearbox.

What you say about it working ok with no weight on the wheel is true of belt slip. I promise I will post you pics of mine tomorrow as I have to regrease my gearbox.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #23 on: 16, October, 2009 - 21:53:16 »
Thanks Umpa, if you could, I'd be grateful.  It's a bit of a hassle having to take the wheel off every time to just take the wrong pictures.  Thanks.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #24 on: 16, October, 2009 - 22:03:04 »
Hold on a minute...  Are you wanting pictures with the huge cog wheel removed, thus having the belt attached to 'nothing'?

If so, how do I do that?  Will it just 'pull off'?  Don't want to break that too!!

Durango2k

« Reply #25 on: 17, October, 2009 - 08:07:30 »
Hey,

my post is gone ! I did a description what he should do- remove the wheel, then pull the large cog, and see that the "fence" keeping the gearbox upwards has snapped in front of it. It should be UNDER it: See picture 3, you can see it there.

Then, re-bend the metal long "thing" to keep it in place.

Very difficult to describe when things have no names- I am missing the words...

Carsten

Offline mike7201

« Reply #26 on: 17, October, 2009 - 14:06:42 »
What you say about it working ok with no weight on the wheel is true of belt slip. I promise I will post you pics of mine tomorrow as I have to regrease my gearbox.

Hi Umpa, any idea when I may be able to see??

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 17, October, 2009 - 15:03:24 »
Here you are m8, this is a motor housing I have off the c5, I got made to do the shopping this morning :(

Remember the gearbox sits on the fence and not behind it.

Yes you need to pull off the white drive gear behind the wheel, after you loosen the drivebelt it just slides forward.

Heres a good pic, it clearly shows the gearbox sitting on the fence.  The black metal strip is a mod you could buy from the shop at one time.

« Last Edit: 04, June, 2010 - 06:59:01 by Umpa »

Durango2k

« Reply #28 on: 17, October, 2009 - 16:36:32 »
Umpa,

that's it. See his Pic 3, there you can see the snapped fence.

Now, what we can also solve the same is to check that the large cog has no axial play. When the wheel is loose, take of the metal part inside it, and refit it on the stub axle. NOW, keep it held down with the left hand, and move up/ down the white cog. IF it moves, look on the axle after taking it of. There are shims with which you adjust the free play. Grease this area, and if shims are missing, get some to adjust play to almost zero.

Reason is that IF there's play the white large cog can and will wander on the stub, thus the belt runs at angles, and the belt will not sit nicely on the small cog due to the angle it has to live with, then. I could not find the original 15 mm inner diameter shims so I got a 16 mm one, and lucky me it did the trick. I now have one thin original shim on top, all is fine.

Carsten

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: 17, October, 2009 - 19:00:23 »
Yes the piccy shows the fence bent forward, I see it now.  Its not snapped and an easy fix.