News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Rear brake bearing question & images - i think im missing (costly) parts!  (Read 5295 times)

POZE

Hello all
Hopefully you can help me...!
Ive seen the 'Rear Wheel Build Seq' thread, but i need more.

My C5 wasnt fitted with rear brake shoes, the lot was missing. So i brought the new shoes, new hinge pin /c clip, spring etc. I put it all together and i now see that the inner bearing pretty much rests on the inner part of the shoes. And if i put the wheel on, it would only be running on the outer bearing ,the one in the wheel.

Take a look at the images and see what you think..... Cheers, Poze

POZE

and

Karl

That doesn't look right at all.

I'll see if I can get some piccies done of the correct set up to help you on your way  ;)

...I'm on shifts until Wednesday, so I'm afraid you'll need to be patient - unless someone else can jump in  :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12

POZE

Hello Retro, yeah i studied this one a lot, its useful but not completly helpfull. I think that maybe there should be 2 bearings inside the wheel itself, then those loose larger ones at the very ends...?

mmm, not really sure basically.
But its definetly only held on by one bearing at the moment!

Any photos, or comparison pics would be gratefully received, then i can go about ordering the bits.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
If you look at C5 Martin's site, he has a parts diagram picture with all the parts on a C5, it is a bit difficult to see clearly, but it might help.

Retro Andy.

Karl

Hello Retro, yeah i studied this one a lot, its useful but not completly helpfull. I think that maybe there should be 2 bearings inside the wheel itself, then those loose larger ones at the very ends...?

I think you are mixing up where the axle bearing and the two sets of wheel bearings should be located.

The brake side wheel has two small sets of bearings, one either side, held in a small "cage". They fit inside the two metal chrome cups that should be either side of the wheel, as per the link posted by Andy earlier, showing the correct componets in the proper sequence ;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=342.msg2293#msg2293

On a standard C5, the larger sealed bull race type bearing is not fitted as a wheel bearing, it is friction fitted to the rear axle and sits within the two semi-circle plastic components that hold the rear brake workings sat behind the rear wheel. I've found that this axle bearing can only be fitted/removed using a hydraulic press.

Hopefully these piccies will help understand the above  :) ;

The picture you've posted suggests you have an axle bearing wrongly located within the plastic of the wheel. It may be that someone has modified the set-up on your particular c5 in order to replace the small cages as they are easily lost or damaged and they can be quite difficult to source (although I believe Adam has loads of them). They can collapse and corrode through neglect or overtightening.

Hope this helps  :)
« Last Edit: 22, November, 2009 - 10:35:58 by BooBoo »

POZE

Hello

Very very useful and really appreciate the images - spot on.
Ive just sent AdamH a quick text and going to call him tomo.

If anyone on here is selling complete inner and outer bearings and the metal caps that fit inside the wheel, both sides - let me know!! ££.

Tomo i will try and carefully prise/pull the bearing of the shaft and remove that spacer thats also on mine. Then go from there. I just tried and its solid, but hopefully i can find something small enough to pull it off.

Thanks all and let me know if anyones selling these bits.   Many thanks, Poze

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Good luck with that mate - the cage bearings are very hard to find. I needed two for the project i'm working on at the moment and was lucky enough to get C5Martin's last two. Adam does not have any left but does sell individual bearings which you can pack into the cups with grease. The problem is getting the cups - hopefully Adam may have some of these. Let us know how you get on.

Regards Radiomarty.

POZE

Hello
Ive now pretty much diagnosed the issue, using all your help and a call to AdamH.
The wrong bearings were fitted and all the original caps/bits were discarded.

So tonight i quickly pulled the bearings of the shaft, i can see that the plastic bit on the wheel that once held this bearing has sheered off. If someone could take a look at the photos and see if the wheels mullered and not acceptable to the cups, id appreciate it.
I think i may need a new wheel as well as the correct bearings etc!  doh

Pics coming now:

POZE

Re: Rear brake bearing question & images - i think im missing (costly) parts!
« Reply #10 on: 23, November, 2009 - 19:30:21 »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Rear brake bearing question & images - i think im missing (costly) parts!
« Reply #11 on: 23, November, 2009 - 21:21:27 »
It looks like you might still have the bearing cups - I think someone has tried to replace the cage bearings with standard roller bearings put if you remove the bearings it looks like they might be sitting in the cups - hope so.