News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Possibility of motor spiking?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline peckishere

• Battery level: 3
    • peckishere's Twitter
Possibility of motor spiking?
« on: 23, March, 2011 - 19:34:38 »
Hello everyone

I have an issue at the moment where my rear Light LED bulbs keep failing after a few trips and eventually die completely. I have made my own LED light bulb at work using 4 ultra bright red LEDs and 2 180 ohm resistors in series but tonight it has decided to 'kick the bucket' too.

My freewheel diode (D1 in the control box) has blown and has caused some singeing on the negative motor pole. however I thought I solved this issue by using a diode of the same value using crimp connections between the poles to remedy the blown diode.

Could it be possible that the Crimped diode isn't making proper contact and is causing a large negative going 'spike' of voltage which in turn is causing the rear LED bulb to fail?  ???

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Possibility of motor spiking?
« Reply #1 on: 24, March, 2011 - 09:04:35 »
Could possibly a bad earth issue - check all the earth contacts are good - just a thought ?

Offline peckishere

• Battery level: 3
    • peckishere's Twitter
Re: Possibility of motor spiking?
« Reply #2 on: 24, March, 2011 - 19:39:50 »
After a bit of research today I found out that its unlikely to be something wrong with the control box. below are my findings:

The LED bulb I got from the C5 alive shop ended up having dry solder joints and the resistors snapped off, due to this it must of buggered up one of the LEDs and therefore made it unusable

The LED bulb I made at work had a simple problem, cracked solder joints due to fragile soldering and leads.

I then found a unused Red LED (these are high quality high tolerance LEDs that come in their own metal casing and can stand allot of abuse(my company use these for gas leak detectors and are designed to be used in harsh environments and can stand a wide range of volts and current)) and I have now fitted it in my c5. hopefully this will last a long time and If I receive any more issues I will update this topic accordingly

fingers crossed  8)