News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Other electric transport  (Read 3694 times)

Offline MattC5

• Battery level: 231
  • i love c5!!! and the gadget show/gadgets
    • http://c5mandmrepairs.tk/
Other electric transport
« on: 29, July, 2010 - 21:47:02 »
Had a go on a Segway today really good fun - (but you don't get the C5 grin ) C5 is still top's for me though  :)

TOFFEEBOY

Re: Other electric transport
« Reply #1 on: 29, July, 2010 - 21:52:11 »
Are these the same as 'Dareways' - I've seen them go quite cheap on eBay and wondered about getting a couple for my little girls so they can accompany me and the missus on our C5's...

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 29, July, 2010 - 22:16:37 »
Hi Toffeboy - I think the Dareway is a kids toy version of a Segway and reaches speeds of about 3 miles an hour. The Segway costs around £4 - £5k and travels about 12 miles an hour ish.Used by some American police forces etc

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #3 on: 30, July, 2010 - 09:46:11 »
You have underestimated the new UK price of a Segway by a sufficient margin to by several C5's in running order. I saw them operating in Portugal recently on the sidewalks, going much faster up quite steep hills than a C5 would manage even for a few moments. They would even hillstart. Of course they have far more power than  C5

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 30, July, 2010 - 14:39:52 »
... Of course they have far more power than  C5

Which is why they aren't road legal, that and the fact they have no pedals means they exceed the criteria and limits for "battery assisted bicycle". They'd need to venture into registering it as a motor vehicle - which it can't comply with either , hence the "private road use only" no-mans land they're stuck in at the moment.
I've tried one out and they are huge fun , just a shame you can't use them anywhere. Also, they are not cheap to fix and maintain, the guy who owned the one I tried out reckons his owed him £10k.....

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #5 on: 31, July, 2010 - 09:11:44 »
We bought are daughter a dareway for christmas a couple of years ago, I spent about an hour putting it together and the stickers on etc, it travelled about ten feet and then it stopped and the motor burnt out, when I returned it to Toys R Us they had removed them from sale due to the problems with them, my daughter was upset beacuse it was what she really wanted and she ended up with a scooter instead, they are for sale again so I reckon the issue's must be sorted, but she's too old of it now.
I take it was one of the reasons for the trip to Great Yarmouth then Marty.

Retro Andy

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #6 on: 31, July, 2010 - 09:35:44 »
I always consider a go on the segways at Yarmouth, then I worry I might like them, and buy one! I tried to convince a friend of mine a year ago to setup a little business doing c5 vs segway races with things like bridges / shortcuts for the c5s and obstacles for the segway.