News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Wings and Wheels 2010 - North Weald Aerodrome  (Read 3717 times)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
Wings and Wheels 2010 - North Weald Aerodrome
« on: 23, February, 2010 - 09:44:00 »
Hi all,
i have no connection to this annual event, other than my enthusiasm to share it with like minded people -:

if like me you messed with model planes, cars and boats etc. as a kid - or still do, then this massive anual event held at North Weald Aerodrome off the M11 near Harlow, is simply not one to miss out on, especially if you want to feed the 'kid' in you.

it is simply is a fantastic family day out, astonishing flying displays of real mini-jet engine powered planes as well as all sorts of IC and electric engined planes and copters, often mixed flying of fast and slow planes - lord knows how they do it without crashing!

robots, boats, helicopters plenty of stands where you can browse/buy at very good rates, models of military vehicles and a few Darleks.

i've been 2 years in a row, and take the grandkids (but i leave my credit card safely indoors ;) ).

it would be an ideal place for a C5 meet (obviously with prior permission from organisers), as being an airfield there is large runway areas of ideal hard standing to run our machines on, and you might get some special bits needed for any C5 projects in the offing from the model and engineering stalls.

on every Saturday and Bank Holiday, there is a massive claimed to be the biggest in Europe, open market to keep our 'other halves' amused, excellent for while we go play with our toys ;D

those who want, can even camp on site over night  8), anyway check it out, i tend to go on the Sunday as the stalls often sell of stock cheaper later on in that day.

http://www.wingsnwheels.net/

regs
alan

Karl

Re: Wings and Wheels 2010 - North Weald Aerodrome
« Reply #1 on: 23, February, 2010 - 10:32:05 »
..it does look like a superb day out, but sadly it clashes with  retroandy's "royal run"  which is where I'll be headed  :)

I've found that the trouble with the British climate is that the "season" for such events is so short that every weekend in the spring/summer seems to be over subscribed with top shows.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 26, February, 2010 - 08:27:13 »
Your more than welcome to come Alan on my run, the more the better  :)

Retro Andy

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #3 on: 26, February, 2010 - 09:32:17 »
Thanks Andy,

unfortunately this event clash is likely to keep me busy with the grandsons - they just love going to it, but hope it all go's really well.

anyone interested you don't have to bring a C5, i posted so as the more local Essex members might not know of, or just how really good it is.

some of the flying the jets is astonishing to see, as part of the audience you are viewing much further back than the pilots are, even with that angle of 'advantage' you looking at the nose cone, its is very hard to to see these planes traveling at anything up to 200 + MPH, so how the pilots do it with planes Red Arrow' style going head on - just boggles the mind.

regs
alan