News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Fighting robot building  (Read 3287 times)

Jonny

Fighting robot building
« on: 21, December, 2010 - 18:03:36 »
hello, if anyone watched the gadget show episode where Jason and Otis  build a fighting robot then you'll know that
lots of people still fight robots across the country even though robot wars isn't going anymore.

i am currently building a heavyweight robot (100kg) which is the same size as the ones on robot wars. I have spent many hundreds of pounds on the beast already. at the moment i'm desperately trying to make more cash so that i can buy whats called a 'speed controller' which costs in the area of £300 as it has to handle so much current.

my robot's weapon is a flipper and i'm working on the pneumatics to make it work. currently having trouble finding a pneumatic cylinder of the right size but after i have one the pneumatic system won't be too hard to complete. the frame and armour are done and am hoping i can get it running soon so i can go and fight it!

if your a fan of robot wars i'd definitely recommend going to an event when its in your area and you might just see my robot :)

if any of you are interested i'll put up some pictures.

Karl

Re: Fighting robot building
« Reply #1 on: 21, December, 2010 - 19:34:00 »
Piccies are always welcome mate :)

Sounds like a really great hobby  8)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #2 on: 22, December, 2010 - 09:05:01 »
i loved robot wars, the american version was also brilliant. some of the designs were simply asstonishing.

i remmember seing the 1st robot that was flipped clean out of the arena, the winning owner in interview simply said "oops!"

i'd be very interested in attending the meets with striking ditance of Essex, is thre any organisation web sites?

Alan

Jonny

« Reply #3 on: 22, December, 2010 - 15:52:41 »
yep, heres the websites of the people who organise events:

http://www.roamingrobots.co.uk/?pages=home
http://www.robotslive.co.uk/

if anyones interested in building a robot themselves theres a forum you can join and get lots of helpful advice: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/forum/

i'll put up a video soon of my robot  ;D

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #4 on: 23, December, 2010 - 07:35:44 »
One of my customers who has a Citroen C5 estate is one of the robot designer's and team member, a really nice bloke and interesting to talk too.

Retro Andy

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #5 on: 23, December, 2010 - 08:02:08 »
One of my customers who has a Citroen C5 estate is one of the robot designer's and team member, a really nice bloke and interesting to talk too.

Retro Andy
I think Andy, this place is chokler bloc with nice people, always room for more, so inject him with the Sinclair version of the C5 bug :).

Perhaps we could cadje a carpark, mount paintball machine guns on our C5's and have a friendly war? :o)

Alan
« Last Edit: 23, December, 2010 - 08:05:12 by techytype »