News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Hoover Factory  (Read 4213 times)

Karl

Hoover Factory
« on: 25, April, 2009 - 10:45:18 »
I was quite sad to see that the Hoover factory in Merthyr Tydfil closed down earlier this year  :( 

This recent article shows the effect this has had on some of the people who worked there ;

When we attended the Welsh Autofest last year we were very well supported & looked after by the locals , so it is a real shame to see them being so badly let down.

The photo at the top of the forum was taken outside the Hoover building during the Welsh Autofest last year, sad to think we won't be able to make a return next year for the 25th anniversary of the C5. 

Link to our run at the Welsh Autofest;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4.0
« Last Edit: 25, April, 2009 - 10:47:46 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Hoover Factory
« Reply #1 on: 25, April, 2009 - 14:00:58 »
I have'nt read the whole article, but its a sad thing when something great comes to an end, and there's too much great things coming to an end at the moment, but i bet we will always "hoover" the house and not just vacuum, so long live the name:- Hoover.

Retro Andy

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #2 on: 25, April, 2009 - 15:54:51 »
I have'nt read the whole article, but its a sad thing when something great comes to an end, and there's too much great things coming to an end at the moment, but i bet we will always "hoover" the house and not just vacuum, so long live the name:- Hoover.

Retro Andy

Has the brand Hoover gone too? Now that is serious!!!!!  :o

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 19, July, 2009 - 15:08:35 »
I read this on the yahoo c5 group ;

I thought I would bring you up to date on developments at the Hoover factory in Merthyr Tydfil where the C5 was assembled. The site of the actual C5 assembly line was redeveloped many years ago and a number of retail units including PC World are now on the site.

The main factory ceased all production in April of this year although the office block is still in use by the company.

How the premises are now to be used for a few weeks as a set for a new film about the women strikers at the Dagenham Ford Car Works in 1968 and their battle for equal pay. When I passed yesterday, the security building near the main gates were being worked on and a new sign had been fixed to the factory gates - presumably Ford Motor Company. The building, that dates from about 1948, is considered to be ideal for the purpose as there have been few exterior alterations over the years.

The film is due for release next Summer and has the same director as "Calendar Girls".

Hope this is of some interest to group members.

Glyn Bowen
Merthyr Tydfil

Sad to think the actual c5 production site has been built on.. :(