News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: No Key (Usual Problem)  (Read 3279 times)

Offline rhys9918

• Battery level: 0
No Key (Usual Problem)
« on: 13, September, 2011 - 19:28:40 »
Hi All
Just finally getting around to starting my restoration C5 project.
I dont have a key for the switch/boot.
I have some quick release battery terminals - question is, can I just cut the battery cover/switch away and use the quick release terminals?
Long term I will probably buy a proper kit from here, but I just want to get some juice into everything to see where I am.
All advice much appreciated.
ps, the C5 is in much better condition than I first though, so fingers crossed, it may be all in order (LOL)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Re: No Key (Usual Problem)
« Reply #1 on: 13, September, 2011 - 20:14:13 »
You can just cut the original off and add to quick release terminals, but be careful when connecting up the battery each time that you get the neg and pos on the right terminals.

Can cause a lot of damge to the Control box and POD, oh and lots of smoke.

The replacement leads have a protection doide in line that stops that problem.

John
PLOD11

Offline rhys9918

« Reply #2 on: 13, September, 2011 - 20:20:34 »
Thanks Plod, I will do it for now. There are two brown wires though? why are there 2?

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #3 on: 13, September, 2011 - 21:53:28 »
Hi there are two brown wires and the thicker is the main power 12v for the motor circuit and the thinner is the 12v control circuit power which normally goes through the key switch to activate the control box circuitry. You will need both to be terminated on to your quick realease terminal connector.

Lance

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 14, September, 2011 - 12:41:17 »
If you just want to check that the motor runs and the gearbox is ok, then disconnet the leads at the control box end and directly conenct them to a battery . Either do this with the motor/gearbox removed or at least with the c5 drive wheel raised off the ground  :).

I'm really not a fan of just cutting out the keyswitch and replacing with battery clamps as like Plod says, there is the potential for some serious damaged to the pod and control box.

Offline rhys9918

« Reply #5 on: 14, September, 2011 - 19:10:17 »
Thanks for the replies guys, like I said its a temporary fix just while testing etc.
(The terminals in the switch look a touch rusty anyway so need to be re-terminated at some stage)

Thanks again

c515mph

« Reply #6 on: 14, September, 2011 - 21:28:10 »
Another way around the key problem,is to remove the tumbler's in the lock and switch.
Then any key ill fit! ;)