News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: C5 Motor dead?  (Read 15909 times)

Offline USA-C5-Owner

• Battery level: 0
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Re: C5 Motor dead?
« Reply #45 on: 12, December, 2014 - 00:16:20 »
Chas,

1.  My old armature is still in the gear box.  It's in there tight and I didn't want to break something.  How do I get it out safely?
2.  The long bolts are in great shape with good threads.
3.  I had seen some photos with small holes drilled in the motor casing?  Is this something I want to do?
4.  What grease do I use on the plastic gearing?  White Lithium?  Non-freezing grease?  Black Multi-Purpose Grease?
5.  Yes, I took both brushes out?  I labeled the casing so they go back in correctly.  But both brushes are black, should I sand them?

Adam

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #46 on: 12, December, 2014 - 09:57:04 »
Hi there Adam regarding the holes they are drilled in the case but they are more for converting the C5 to a 24volt system and need as much cooling that you can get but with the 12volt it is not nessasery.But you can fit a fan to the motor just to keep it cool

Regarding the grease I use a yellow general purpose.

Also not sure about the brushes (both black)

Now getting the old rotor out what I would do first Is to spray some WD 40 on the rotor and leave it to soak

Can you send me a photo of the rotor inside the gearbox

Bye Chas

• Millennium Member
« Reply #47 on: 12, December, 2014 - 10:41:40 »
Hi Adam just checked your video and I can see what you mean ....photo to foll

Chas

Try and ease the gearbox insert off first ...When its off take a look at the last photo and see that you may have to tap e fingers so the old rotor comes out

regarding the brushes leave them as they are ...will get back to you after you have taken the old roror off
« Last Edit: 12, December, 2014 - 12:52:30 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #48 on: 12, December, 2014 - 13:11:40 »
Chas, 

I will do the steps above, but sadly have come down with the flu.   :'(  So it may be a few days before I feel up to the garage.  I will post when I am back up feeling better and have gotten the old armature out.

Adam

• Millennium Member
« Reply #49 on: 12, December, 2014 - 13:23:21 »
Hi Adam no problem

Bye Chas

• Millennium Member
« Reply #50 on: 12, December, 2014 - 14:04:07 »
Hi there Adam just had my mate check out the wiring dia and it looks like it will work ...Just one thing mabe you should monitor the temp of the motor and put in a thermistor just in case or you could fit a fan to work when / if the motor gets to hot
Bye Chas

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #51 on: 15, December, 2014 - 13:11:29 »
Chas,

Finally feeling a tad better and tried the steps below.  It worked amazing!  I went slow and the gear box insert moved little by little.  It went really well.  Thanks for the great tip!  Currently, I have all the parts apart, All parts have been cleaned and new grease purchased. Things are looking up!  :)

• Millennium Member
« Reply #52 on: 15, December, 2014 - 16:00:23 »
Hi there there that sounds great .just one thing is the large thin bearing ok ...
Here is a few photos of the motor take note of the keyways

Please note the motor has not been cleaned or restored just striped it down and built it up to show how it goes back together
The first thing is to place the two thin washers at the bottom of the alloy part put a little grease on them to keep them in place

Take note of the red positive cable of the left side and which way round each section goes check the marker pen marks

Put the rotor in the lower part (alloy part ) making sure that the washers are still in place .ps you can put the brushes in last

Then place the steel tube over the rotor but be careful as the magnets will stick to the rotor try and keep it from touching the rotor and pulling it out (I always place the alloy part in the vice ..make sure that the keyways are in the right place ......

The next thing is to fit the plastic part the one that has the fingers that holds all together when the 2 long bolts are fitted .

If all goes well then it's the gearbox insert and the gearbox outer case to be greased and fitted again there is a keyway on the gearbox outer case
And on one of the fingers Make sure they are lined up .

Ps I missed out the long bolts but it does not matter as it will be striped down again and serviced .

Bye Chas

« Last Edit: 15, December, 2014 - 19:21:15 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #53 on: 18, December, 2014 - 16:54:53 »
Chas,

I will be doing this on Saturday or Sunday and will post the results at the end of the weekend!  Adam

• Millennium Member
« Reply #54 on: 18, December, 2014 - 19:35:51 »
Hi there thanks for the post look forward to hearing from you over the weekend ...
All the best Chas

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #55 on: 21, December, 2014 - 18:47:07 »
Chas,   

Everything has went well, but I cant get the gearbox outer case to snap back down on the motor.  I need to get it another 1/16th of an inch or so.  I tried tapping on it with a rubber mallet, but did not want to force it.  Any suggestions?

Adam

• Millennium Member
« Reply #56 on: 21, December, 2014 - 19:50:43 »
Hi Adam sounds like you have been busy ..first of all have you taped the gearbox insert down on the rotor as far as it will go ,but be carful not hit it to hard ..then have you lined up all the key slots on the motor ...making sure the gearbox out case is lined up with the keyway ...

If you can a post a few  photos may help all the best Chas

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #57 on: 21, December, 2014 - 23:11:55 »
I'll try tapping the insert down onto the rotor again.  I did line up all key slots, and keyways.  I will try the rotor again and post back.  Thanks Chas. 

Offline USA-C5-Owner

« Reply #58 on: 22, December, 2014 - 02:57:54 »
Chas,
Two things discovered in the garage.
1.  The motor runs with 12V (no gearbox connected)   Awesome!!!  It works!
2.  The new armature and old armature are slightly different at the top.  On the old armature, the two top bearings rest on the top gear cog with a 1/8" shaft protruding out of them.  On the new armature, the bearings are level with the shaft and there is an 1/8" gap between the bearings and gear cog.  The main gearbox piece has an interior offset that the bearings stop at when inserted.  On the new armature, it stops a 1/8" sooner because of bearing position.  I think this is what is going on and why the outer gearbox will not seat properly.

Have you seen this?  If so, please advise.  I am sorry I have had so many issues on something that seems simple.

Adam

• Millennium Member
« Reply #59 on: 22, December, 2014 - 09:18:47 »
Hi Adam it looks like I have replaced the bearings on the rotor some time but have not pushed the small ones down enough .
What you may have to do is to get a tube of the right dia and tap the two small bearings down they should move easily .
Also have you checked the large thin bearing is pushed all the way down  .
Bye Chas