News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: The link that joins a C5 to a "mini-el"  (Read 4180 times)

Karl

The link that joins a C5 to a "mini-el"
« on: 18, May, 2008 - 10:07:06 »
The main reason I purchased the white mini-el was because it looked like a big C5 ..

You can see what I mean !

...But did you know there is a definite link between the two vehicles ?

Karl

Re: The link that joins a C5 to a "mini-el"
« Reply #1 on: 18, May, 2008 - 10:15:29 »
..check out this article in the latest BVS "plugged in" magazine ;
A gent called Peter Milliner was aleading production engineer for the C5 and also had a lot to do with the original Danish City(mini)-el  8)

And there I was thinking the Danish had simply copied some of the best bits of Sir Clives finest creation :P
« Last Edit: 14, July, 2008 - 08:33:35 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 22, May, 2008 - 15:23:35 »

Yep -seen that you tube clip, its made by Nikki who is also a BVS member and was a great help with restoring my mini-el. Mine had arrived in need of restoration,so I took it down to Bristol in a van to her place. She helped identify what it needed,and in what order. Since there were no local mini-el dealers to turn to, her help was priceless.

Mine was purchased last May off Ebay,and is former property of Maurice Gibb (of Beegee's fame). Shame the last forum got wiped, there was a thread that showed the restoration ,complete with pictures.
« Last Edit: 20, October, 2011 - 10:43:06 by BooBoo »

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 23, May, 2008 - 19:09:54 »
The BVS guess that there are only about 20 or so mini-el/city-el's in the country.

Mine is a convertible, made in denmark, which makes it fairly rare. The newer ones made today come with a"targa-top" or solid roof. The convertible was discontinued.

At a "mini-el" weekend earlier this year, a gent arrived with a white convertible mini-el that he purchased from a scrap metal dealer...for £200  :o

All it required to make it run was a new forward/reverse "paddle" switch for £70. 

To say everyone present was stunned into silence (and green with envy) is an understatement  ;D