News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Starting to take shape...  (Read 9797 times)

Karl

Starting to take shape...
« on: 17, December, 2009 - 11:20:40 »
Just a little "taster"...

The gearbox project that "electricDave" is working on is taking shape.

I'm off to view a working prototype on Saturday  8)

For those that don't know, we are working on a replacement for the plastic gearbox. The idea is to produce something that is "plug'n'play" meaning you can fit one to a c5 with the minimal amount of work.

If this conversion is successful it would mean, if you wanted too, you could then start fitting 24v kits again and have reliable full power 24v c5's.

Something to look forward to in 2010  ;D

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Starting to take shape...
« Reply #1 on: 17, December, 2009 - 16:17:05 »
So hope this is a success as the 'pimping' project is calling out for 24v !!!

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #2 on: 17, December, 2009 - 16:51:58 »
definitely be up for this so will hold fire on the other options  ;D

just had a thought, in another thread someone suggested fitting an aditional C5 motor to the other side, but me thinks it would make the C5 excellent at doing doughnuts (Brooklands beckons  ::)) but not so good in a straight line as the motors won't do reverse (yet!)  ;D

regs
alan

Offline Kurt

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #3 on: 17, December, 2009 - 17:20:48 »
This is something I would definetly be interested in too.

If it helps I have mentioned before that I know a mechanic with his own C&C lathe setup and he maybe able to knock up or assist with any custom parts that maybe required or hard to source.

Kurt.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #4 on: 17, December, 2009 - 21:23:13 »
Hi if it.s the DC motor you want go in reverse all you need to do is connect the red to negative and the black to positive and away you go ...

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 17, December, 2009 - 22:00:02 »
Take a look at this

Offline techytype

« Reply #6 on: 17, December, 2009 - 22:46:14 »
i stand corrected, i was going on previously made comments that these motors don't reverse, hence no reverse option in normal use, might be that the pedal chain gear would be a tad inconvenient in reverse  ;D.

i'm curious if your set up is using 2 x standard controllers, and if so did you need to (and how) balance the motors outputs? given both wheels are driven i assume equally, how dose it affect steering when turning slow tighter corners? or do you only use one motor for that?

i'd guess you could now have a tighter turning circle radius as long as you have a 'go button' for each motor, the radius limit chosen in design stage in some part would be to allow left hand turns without over stressing the drive train.

i'd also interested in the advantages/disadvantages you have found, i.e. with the doubled torque available if it made a significant difference on hills, was there a significant reduction in running time.

res
alan

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 17, December, 2009 - 22:52:04 »
C5's don't have a reverse gear as such, which is what was highlighted in Chris Barries TV programme.

As Chas rightly says, the motors will happily run in reverse if you connect them up "the wrong way round".

However, make sure it is a direct connection to the battery that doesn't involve the C5's original wiring/pod/control box - otherwise it will get expensive  :o

Offline techytype

« Reply #8 on: 17, December, 2009 - 23:42:16 »
way back in the day, i seem to remember along these lines, you used to be able to drive a reliant 3 wheeler on a full motorcycle license without 'L' plates, as long as you blocked out reverse gear because it was then classed as a motorised tricycle and not a car.

so i wonder did that affect the C5 design in this not having reverse, was it easier to mak the controller for use one direction or was it simply that the pedals would also rotated in reverse and perhaps risk break a few legs?

give you some idea how dodgy this would be, a lad at my school took a mobylete moped over the local tip, an are known as 'the mammary' (well work the real east london words out for your selves).

him not being the brightest spark at a bonfire party, drove this moped at full tilt down into the 'valley', got half way up the other side on sheer momentum alone then run out of steam.

resulting in a forced reverse maneuver despite his best peddling efforts - and a broken leg from the now furiously backwards rotating pedals  :o

regs
alan

• Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 18, December, 2009 - 09:31:12 »
You are right connecting the motor in reverse will drive the pedals backwards .but if you want  to covert the c5 to run on 24 volt using a 24 volt control er you could disconnect the chain or even take the pedals of ..to make it safe  ::)

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 18, December, 2009 - 09:52:42 »
I reckon having a lack of reverse is simply down to keeping the cost of production as low as possible, and that it is essentially a bicycle - which seldom have reverse gears.

Offline techytype

« Reply #11 on: 18, December, 2009 - 18:15:58 »
You are right connecting the motor in reverse will drive the pedals backwards .but if you want  to covert the c5 to run on 24 volt using a 24 volt control er you could disconnect the chain or even take the pedals of ..to make it safe  ::)

the power given with your set up or 24 volt would obviate the need of the pedals, but if you want to appear to be street legal they need to be in place at least for visual's.

imo whats needed is a way of disengaging the pedals in some way, be it a form of clutch or idler mod but tbh i've not heard of anyone getting nicked for not complying on a C5 fully with the regs, if you did i wonder what would be the result? warning, C5 confiscation and or prosecution.

the mino moto's et crushed but seems rare prosecution is followed through, so i'd suppose depends how naughty you were being while riding it, getting clocked @ 85mph in a 30 might just be seen as anti-social - but would certainly make you famous on YouTube ;D

regs
alan

Karl

« Reply #12 on: 19, December, 2009 - 22:12:05 »
Went along today to see "electricdave" and view the prototype metal gearbox conversion he's been busy working on. As the title of this thread suggests - it is all starting to take shape quite nicely;

Although it looks nearly finished there is still some way to go, but we are hoping to have a working prototype on display at C5-25.

Should make for some interesting c5 modifications in 2010  ;D 8)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #13 on: 19, December, 2009 - 23:43:45 »
Looking good !!!!!

Offline techytype

« Reply #14 on: 20, December, 2009 - 15:02:40 »
you got a lot of us slobbering after this new box, if successful what sort of price for it do you envisage?

(i hpope mates rates for C5Alive member  ;D)

regs
alan