News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Road Legal C5  (Read 6286 times)

Mole

Road Legal C5
« on: 13, May, 2008 - 16:37:57 »

Okay, Its another one in the sereis of Thingy C5 threads. This is more of a thought experment.

Often a comment said is "but that would make the C5 illegal to use on the road". Got me wondering, What would it take to make the C5 road legal.

What I was thinking was if you took it to the point where it was classed as a Car (or bike, not sure o nthat one). The disadvantage would be Tax and MOT's, but the upshot is a lot of freedom on the design (speed would no longer be a issue).

Anyway, What items would need to be modified to make it road legal. The first question is whether it would be classed as a bike or a car i guess.

I have no intention of doing this, but was just thinking...   

ogb

Re: Road Legal C5
« Reply #1 on: 13, May, 2008 - 16:51:52 »
« Last Edit: 13, May, 2008 - 18:34:35 by ogb »

Mole

« Reply #2 on: 13, May, 2008 - 19:06:57 »
See Im not sure of thar Mark.

While The C5 would proberbly fail the SVA for a Car, I reckon It may well pass the SVA for a motocycle (which is far less stringent). Question is, can it count as a motocycle.

History has precident for this. The Reliant Robin is not a car but a enclosed motocycle according to the law. And The Peel P50 Micro car is probberbly not dissimlar from the C5, and that qualifies as a road legal car.

Not saying it would sail through, But I think its possible...

Just my own veiw mind

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 13, May, 2008 - 23:02:02 »
It really is a legal minefield, this is an extract from a source that the Police refer to ;

Whether a pedal vehicle with an electric motor should be regarded as a pedal cycle or a motor vehicle (as per section 185 RTA 1988) depends on it's primary method of propulsion. In Winter v DPP 2002 the Court considered the nature of a 'City bug', a scooter type device with an electric motor and pedals on the front wheel (fitted to try and get round the above British regulations).
The American version of the City Bug without the pedals

The vehicle was shown to be primarily intended for use with a motor. Using the pedals was difficult and precarious. It could not be used safely on the roads by pedal power alone. The vehicle was deemed to be a motor vehicle not a pedal cycle. Also see the document relating the the meaning of a motor vehicle and / or DPP v Saddington 2000 for a similar decision regarding Go-ped type powered scooters.
A pedal cycle with a built in electric motor to assist on hills was marketed by Sir Clive Sinclair in the 1990's as a 'Zike'. This was held to be a  pedal cycle. The question as to whether Sir Clive's ill-fated electric 'C5' machine was a pedal cycle is less clear. It is considered more likely that it would now be regarded as a motor vehicle because the pedals were intended to assist the electric motor rather than the other way round.
If there is some doubt in the future it is suggested that a look at the marketing literature produced by a manufacturer may assist and of course if need be a statement may always be obtained from them. However, the matter will ultimately be a decision for the courts.

This suggests it would probably be difficult to manufacture a standard C5 and get it past todays rules.. :o

Mole

« Reply #4 on: 14, May, 2008 - 07:12:07 »
Yeah It does.

It does seam the law in this area is based on percived veiws rather than quantative fact.

Certainnly intresting.

ogb

« Reply #5 on: 25, May, 2008 - 18:12:01 »
to use your C5 legally in the EU you need a pedel sensor
I tried out a simple pedal sensor , easy to build and maintenance free
the cost are under GPB 10
for information see http://myc5.nl/
« Last Edit: 25, May, 2008 - 19:25:08 by ogb »

jomac

« Reply #6 on: 25, May, 2008 - 23:46:44 »
So we have an EU/UK switch fitted and keep everyone happy.. ;D

But try explaing to the police that you have been pedalling under your own steam in a 24v C5 at 32MPH...honestly officer i was.. :D

ogb

« Reply #7 on: 26, May, 2008 - 08:07:43 »
at least you have to move your feets and , not run without moving your feets ::)what makes it entirely clear that you run only on electric power
also save your belt by moving the C5 by manpower before starting the motor