News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: another control box problem question.  (Read 7512 times)

marra

another control box problem question.
« on: 02, August, 2010 - 17:55:36 »
Hello. Could someone assist. I have 4 control box's, 2 that appear to work well but 2 do something odd.
 2 of them when connected to the pod light up the amber side on left and when motor switch is on, the first green light lights up. so i think they are good.
 However, the other 2. when connected to pod the amber lights up on left as others do, but when i switch the motor on, the last red lights up rather than the first green. does anyone know what to correct. thanks the Marra.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: another control box problem question.
« Reply #1 on: 02, August, 2010 - 19:02:41 »
Hi when you are running your test's is the motor under load ? - The light's you are talking about indicate motor load The green light show little load and the red high load (hills etc)- if they stay red during a run and you know your pod is ok then suspect the lm358 ic in the control box.

However you really need to see what they are up to on a run. For example when you press the switch while holding the wheel of the ground they can go red then return to green.However some may stay green on first press -

To sum up if you take them on a run you should see red or amber lights when going up hills or gradients which should change to green under heavy peadling or downhill / flats.

If the light's do not move of of red for example holding the wheel of the ground and pressing the motor or visa versa do not move of green wnhen putting load on the wheel the first port of call is the ICLM358 in the control box - hope that makes sense :)

« Last Edit: 02, August, 2010 - 19:15:54 by radiomarty »

marra

« Reply #2 on: 02, August, 2010 - 19:20:13 »
hi. that makes very good sense, i understand fully. did mine without load and wheels off ground. will give more testing tomorrow. thanks The Marra.

marra

« Reply #3 on: 02, August, 2010 - 23:23:11 »
Hi when you are running your test's is the motor under load ? - The light's you are talking about indicate motor load The green light show little load and the red high load (hills etc)- if they stay red during a run and you know your pod is ok then suspect the lm358 ic in the control box.

However you really need to see what they are up to on a run. For example when you press the switch while holding the wheel of the ground they can go red then return to green.However some may stay green on first press -

To sum up if you take them on a run you should see red or amber lights when going up hills or gradients which should change to green under heavy peadling or downhill / flats.

If the light's do not move of of red for example holding the wheel of the ground and pressing the motor or visa versa do not move of green wnhen putting load on the wheel the first port of call is the ICLM358 in the control box - hope that makes sense :)

Will this replacement be ok ? http://uk.farnell.com/national-semiconductor/lm358n/op-amp-dual-low-power-dip8-358/dp/9486836
thanks.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 03, August, 2010 - 07:18:00 »
Yes indeed - if this doesn't work (has in 99% of mine) we need to check some transistors - let us know how you go - I take it the test's found them faulty ?

marra

« Reply #5 on: 03, August, 2010 - 12:17:02 »
Yes indeed - if this doesn't work (has in 99% of mine) we need to check some transistors - let us know how you go - I take it the test's found them faulty ?
Hello. tried a new 358 but still the same. as soon as the battery is connected the last red light goes on. is there something else i could try ? will fit another 358 on the other board later and see if that works or does the same as this. Cant wait till there is a metal gearbox conversion so my other c5 will do without a pod and box..... wanna have fun ! but cant be beat by this problem so going to fix them ;) thanks for help, The Marra.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #6 on: 03, August, 2010 - 12:44:48 »
Are they staying red the whole time you press the button ? Or do they return to green ?

Do they go red without the button pressed ?

We need to start with the condition of the battery connected and the pod displaying battery level on the right hand display - all LED'S lighting if you battery is full and the left LED'S with just the first and last amber displayed.

We also need to be sure the pod is ok as this can give a similar fault?

Try connecting the one with the green light and make sure it goes red under load to rule out any problems with the pod.

Then i'ill have another look at the circuit diagram. I'm sure we can solve it just a little tricky when you don't have it your hands !!

Am I missing something Plod ?
« Last Edit: 03, August, 2010 - 13:14:04 by radiomarty »

marra

« Reply #7 on: 03, August, 2010 - 16:32:57 »
Are they staying red the whole time you press the button ? Or do they return to green ?

Do they go red without the button pressed ?

We need to start with the condition of the battery connected and the pod displaying battery level on the right hand display - all LED'S lighting if you battery is full and the left LED'S with just the first and last amber displayed.

We also need to be sure the pod is ok as this can give a similar fault?

Try connecting the one with the green light and make sure it goes red under load to rule out any problems with the pod.

Then i'ill have another look at the circuit diagram. I'm sure we can solve it just a little tricky when you don't have it your hands !!

Am I missing something Plod ?
The battery level on right is full. the left side stays red even when the button is not pressed, when pressed stays red anyway. this also applies when under load.  ??? does the same on another pod. i also have a pod that is duff so cannot try it with a 3rd pod.

marra

« Reply #8 on: 03, August, 2010 - 19:05:27 »
Just replaced with another 358 also replaced tr1 ( a b212 or something ) now working good  ;D . dont know if it was tr1 or a faulty new 358 ?
thanks for heads up on what it was.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 03, August, 2010 - 19:32:53 »
Great news mate are they both fixed ?

Regards Radiomarty

marra

« Reply #10 on: 03, August, 2010 - 19:55:24 »
Great news mate are they both fixed ?

Regards Radiomarty

HMMM, No. The pod that was not working was down to the pins. had a set cut and resolded earlier. Now the last red led on the left is permanently on ! Now I have 3 control box's that seem to work well and 2 pods. now i have a pod that seems to be showing the same problem that i had earlier but the control box's work as should .... starting to give me an headache  :-[

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #11 on: 03, August, 2010 - 20:51:39 »
It is the joy of the Sinclair C5 electronics - the pod can give you the same fault !That is why I was asking you earlier if the Pod was ok - if the fault is only showing on this pod and the other control boxes work ok with other pods then the fault will almost certainly be in the ULA chip in the pod. This is a nightmare because at the moment we are struggling to repair them with the absence of the C5 electronic 'god' c5martin.

marra

« Reply #12 on: 03, August, 2010 - 22:39:55 »
It is the joy of the Sinclair C5 electronics - the pod can give you the same fault !That is why I was asking you earlier if the Pod was ok - if the fault is only showing on this pod and the other control boxes work ok with other pods then the fault will almost certainly be in the ULA chip in the pod. This is a nightmare because at the moment we are struggling to repair them with the absence of the C5 electronic 'god' c5martin.

"God" C5martin ? where is he, and why a god. sure someone will fill his shoes. ( hope he not past away cos ill feel bad after that ) i may chop this pod case and retro fit a battery meter in. i like the blue digit display that is on an earlier post. ;D

marra

« Reply #13 on: 03, August, 2010 - 23:07:20 »
just looked at his site. now i know, seems to know his stuff. I like his Segway.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #14 on: 03, August, 2010 - 23:15:26 »
Yep top man moved on to kit cars - knew his stuff with the dreaded Pod's but there is a electronic dude looking into a ULA replacement at the moment so fingers crossed