News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Making the C5 useable and reliable  (Read 3833 times)

joggaeco

Making the C5 useable and reliable
« on: 21, October, 2011 - 20:45:19 »
I think the only option to the old tehnology, yet the fab design and ride quality is to upgrade the front wheel to a modern 12 inch 250W, lithium battery (give 1000 charges! as opposed to 300 of the lead acid, maybe lighter as well?)

(unless we lobby for a bit more power, given that it will extend the usability of it and save the carbon footprint)

Then we get the latest more reliable elelctronics and the keep the C5 image.

The C5 existing motor can be left and used as a generator with a suitable regulator, eother charging the 12v battery or the lithium battery.

The apprach would make the C5 more realible and usable, with extra power from gov, go anywhere! Just need weatherproofing, heater, carpets, wipers, sat nav... 8)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: Making the C5 useable and reliable
« Reply #1 on: 22, October, 2011 - 09:55:41 »
You might just as well upgrade to a Bond Bug.......................................

Lance

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 23, October, 2011 - 09:48:00 »
Because the aim is useable and reliable  :D Seriously I do love the bond bug, if they didn't cost about £6000 I would have one for a bit of fun  :)

Retro Andy

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #3 on: 24, October, 2011 - 11:43:38 »
You have obviously never been in a Bond Bug- I have and it was bloody awful. Its not that I am not averse to poorly equipped cars or those without doors as I own a 180mph road legal car that doesnt have anything more than a vestigial flyscreen and access is gained by climbing over the sides but it will hold the road and stop and it does have a substanial triangulated tube frame for frontal, rear, and side impact protection and a proper braced rollhoop and that with the engine structure and front frame form a sufficient triangle with the road to reduce the risk of rollover decapitation .Oh, and it cost me less than the cost of a restored Bond Bug to build(albeit 13 years ago). You can buy a good Porsche 944 Turbo for less than the £6000 you quote for a "good" Bug- no contest really is there.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 24, October, 2011 - 19:11:18 »
I wouldn't look twice an old Porsche, but I would the Bond Bug or a Volkswagen Bug.

Retro Andy.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #5 on: 24, October, 2011 - 19:21:38 »
Hi,

I agree with RETRO ANDY, I once had a porsche 944 and at that value (less than £10k) they are crap... :( :( :( :( :(

Lance
« Last Edit: 24, October, 2011 - 19:26:36 by Lancealot »

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #6 on: 26, October, 2011 - 11:43:40 »
Maybe your 944 was a badly maintained dog, but a well-looked after one is a superbly balanced car with excellent braking, is comfortable, has adequate luggage capacity, and is capable of cruising at 125-130mph(tubo even faster) all day every day(on Autobahns of course) and has fully galvanized bodywork.
A Bond Bug is a curio, thats all. And as for the Beetle, unsafe at any speed sums it up perfectly

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 26, October, 2011 - 18:42:07 »
I agree the Porsche would be a better car, but then its just normal and common, the Bond Bud would stand out in the crowd, thats what I like, the appeal of something that bit different and rare. I will try a find a picture of my old 944 (yes I did own one, but not for long !) and post it.

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 27, October, 2011 - 09:10:38 »
In an age where motoring perfection is cheap and easy to buy I agree with retroAndy, sometimes the quirky cars with all their faults are just more enjoyable.

There is a reason why the Bond Bugs ,Beetles and old Fiat 500's etc are "cult" cars...it's because of their "faults" (aka character) that people love them so much  ;D

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 27, October, 2011 - 17:03:53 »
Thats why we all go into C5 isn't it  ;)

Retro Andy.

joggaeco

« Reply #10 on: 27, October, 2011 - 18:53:36 »
I definatly miss my c5 being off road, it fits like a glove, a bit like a spitfire has been described, you don't sit in it, you wear it aound you.

Trying to get it going, need that alternative kit to the control box, so I could go and get a bit of footage of the students at St, Pauls, before they all disapper...

So can anyone supply  me the control box replacement asap?  How much?
I can fit it myself.
« Last Edit: 27, October, 2011 - 18:55:17 by joggaeco »