News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Little cogs in gearbox  (Read 5176 times)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Little cogs in gearbox
« on: 07, May, 2012 - 21:54:57 »
Hi guys,

When I stripped my gearbox down for greasing today, I noticed that the little cogs look & feel worn around where they sit on the metal 'guides'. Two of them even have some play. I'm sure they were all nice and tight last time I greased it 7 months ago.

I forgot to take any piccies, which is a bit unfortunate as I'm sure they would help explain what I'm saying.

I'm assuming they are damaged though and will need to be replaced, I should think they are quite difficult to get hold of as I have yet to see a set advertised for sale on their own?

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Little cogs in gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 08, May, 2012 - 05:33:56 »
Karl's your man for these ! :)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 08, May, 2012 - 09:14:56 »
Hi after a time the small cogs will wear loos  .But as long as you keep them in grease they should be ok .

But if you can get spares get them ...Also it depends on the mileage you do

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #3 on: 08, May, 2012 - 09:40:26 »
I think I'll be looking at getting new ones soon. Mine's in daily use and I don't want it to break down on me in the middle of nowhere.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 08, May, 2012 - 11:47:50 »
It's always best to get a few spares when they are available  bye Chas

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #5 on: 18, July, 2012 - 21:50:23 »
Just ordered new cogs from Karl as it started making a terrible noise on Monday's commute. I took it apart Monday afternoon to pack it with grease and found out that several of the teeth on the outer gearbox casing were also damaged, so a new one of those was ordered too.

Picture of damage to old gearbox casing;

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 19, July, 2012 - 21:03:40 »
That is similar to the type of damage that metal cogs cause as well  :-\

My c5 "moneypit" was fitted with an upgraded Sinclair gearbox by Adam Harper that used metal cogs and reinforced pins ( The plan was to get it ready for one of his 24v conversions). Sadly I never went ahead with the project so "moneypit" ended up staying at 12v but even so the gearbox still suffered damage.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #7 on: 19, July, 2012 - 22:07:02 »
That is similar to the type of damage that metal cogs cause as well  :-\

My c5 "moneypit" was fitted with an upgraded Sinclair gearbox by Adam Harper that used metal cogs and reinforced pins ( The plan was to get it ready for one of his 24v conversions). Sadly I never went ahead with the project so "moneypit" ended up staying at 12v but even so the gearbox still suffered damage.

:-\ I will try asking around to see if anyone can re-manufacture the original casing but in metal instead of plastic.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #8 on: 20, July, 2012 - 08:42:42 »
I think Chas has had a look at this in the past but it was either or both to difficult and to expensive.

Lance

• Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 20, July, 2012 - 08:45:17 »
Hi there I have asked about the outer casing but the cost would be more expensive than the C5 itself ...I have had the small cogs remanufactured but they are not cheap ... Here are the small cogs and new posts (cogs just need drilling out and cutting)

« Last Edit: 20, July, 2012 - 17:27:34 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #10 on: 20, July, 2012 - 16:23:08 »
All the new bits have been fitted and it runs quietly & smoothly.  ;D

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 20, July, 2012 - 19:54:06 »
I think Chas has had a look at this in the past but it was either or both to difficult and to expensive.

Lance

He's not the only one  ;D

..the quest for remanufacturing a standard Sinclair gearbox in stronger materials is a well trodden path. It can be done but at too high a price financially , the same snag with the Dragon Technology gearbox. It worked very well but when we did our sums the cost of production was greater than we wanted. I didn't think there would be enough demand to risk building more and hoping they would find buyers.