News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: 2nd Battery Upgrade  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Robosoft

• (c) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd
  • Battery level: 3
  • You came in that thing? U'r braver than I thought!
    • Sinclair Research
Re: 2nd Battery Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: 11, September, 2012 - 21:32:33 »
Still not convinced.

so if i got 2 250w speakers and put them on full would it be louder? as in 500w  or 270w- 300w.

Im guessing 2 x 250w running at same time on the same axel will just give you 250w power but more efficient as the torque is higher. 

i put it another way 250w would give you   2000rpm (totally made up rpm)   put two next to each other would give 2 x motors running at same speed / rpm.  bolt them together on the same axel 1 will run at 2000rpm and the second will run at 2000rpm  not 4000rpm.

So if the law is 250w max (2000rpm)  i would, as said remove the label and replace it with Dual Motor system equivalent to 250w.   And yes it would be faster and you would also have to put a limiter on it to stop it going over the max speed limit.  and yes you would have to make sure the two motors didn't weigh to much.

But at least you would get up a hill as the limiter will allow more power as the c5 slowed.

But what do i know!

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #16 on: 12, September, 2012 - 11:12:47 »
The foregoing was elementary physics being misunderstood.
Put simply;2 motors =doubled torque & power=increased pulling power=increased speed on given gradient for given weight and ambient conditions. Raise the final drive ratio and the increased power would result in being able to pull the higher gearing hence somewhat higher speed. On a level road at least the top speed would increase as a result.
Oh and by the way, decibels levels are not linear.

Offline coverman

« Reply #17 on: 12, September, 2012 - 11:16:55 »
Oh, oh, having 2 speakers instead of one won't increase output, they don't supply the energy, they just convert it into sound and heat.

Offline mhurt

• 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #18 on: 12, September, 2012 - 12:10:43 »
I'd be willing to risk it, but it would run on a small battery (my current one is 17kg and is probably overkill for my use :) ), and separate switch purely for a couple of hills I have to get up.

Mounting the drive wheel is something I need to look at, as I'm not sure how Chas did it (probably screwed on), but it's not something that's on the immediate horizon.

Offline Robosoft

• Sinclair Research
« Reply #19 on: 12, September, 2012 - 20:09:02 »
Just do it.

Whats the worst they can do.

No Points - its not a car, Confiscation? (at best they will ask you to remove the extra motor and get VOSA to verify it) or small fixed fine.   

I'd still go with the sticker method (Sinclair Dual Motor System MAX power 250w Should do it).   "I got the c5 like this! I assumed it was legal"

I still think if you put my argument in front of a judge (it will never come to that) providing you wen't going to fast and the weight was within tolerance you would be fine.

If you need to. you can call me from the jail and i'll post bail money.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #20 on: 12, September, 2012 - 22:29:19 »
If you are not going to be doing 20-30mph and only have it at max 15mph you will be ok, but just for torque.

I have been stopped by Police 3 times to only ask were did I get it, how much and I have not seen one of them since I was a kid or for the younger ones - my dad had one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I even live next door to a transport cop and he has not said anything even when I have the kids sitting infront of me.

Most people don't know what they are or have uderneath so having  1 or 2 motors won't be a problem.

Lance

Offline coverman

« Reply #21 on: 13, September, 2012 - 09:30:31 »
God forbid you should have an accident involving injury wth a two motor version.Then you'd find out about the law.

Offline Robosoft

• Sinclair Research
« Reply #22 on: 13, September, 2012 - 20:34:48 »
Everyone still has a story about c5 so your's could be

"mine is the c5+ prototype that they did just b4 they went bust! - if you don't believe me officer give sinclair a ring"

Like yesterday i had a customer come in an tell me he has the very on that was on tomorrows world in his shed.  (our 2 c5 are in the shop) He didn't just come in and say that for no reason.

I pointed him to this forum.  He said that his staff used to use them for the paper round as he had a newsagents.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #23 on: 17, September, 2012 - 19:15:47 »
Get in there quick offer a good cheap price............................

Lance