News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Using a car battery monitor system in a C5  (Read 4593 times)

Offline dansretropod

• Battery level: 3
  • The C5 was born to be customised... 3D style
    • www.c5owners.com
Using a car battery monitor system in a C5
« on: 07, September, 2012 - 08:50:04 »
Hi everyone,

When I got my C5 the previous owner had removed the POD and control box so it just runs from a relay/battery.  What I wanted to do was add a car battery monitor system to where the POD should be so I can see remaining battery capacity/motor temp.

I've looked through the forum a bit but couldn't see any that had been used before, can someone point me to the right place or give advice on which one to get/fitting it?

I was looking at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150883056563?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3755wt_1037

As this includes a temperature monitor for the motor.

Any help would be great,

Thanks!

Karl

Re: Using a car battery monitor system in a C5
« Reply #1 on: 08, September, 2012 - 11:46:43 »
I've tried these more basic monitors in the past ;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1273.0.html

..but I do like the look of those ones you have found. If you do go ahead and use one please let us know how you get on  :)

Offline mhurt

• 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #2 on: 08, September, 2012 - 12:14:34 »
I've bought one of the blue  LED ones for voltage too, but not fitted yet. I wondered if the temperature sensor on the other ones would work with the motor, so I'm also interested, as I have no idea when my motor is getting hot until the pod starts beeping at me.

*edit* it's one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320942291168;jsessionid=FBD5D8B6F662196BE5FBEC83B7B18623?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D320942291168%26_rdc%3D1#ht_2295wt_1092 and arrived within a week
« Last Edit: 08, September, 2012 - 12:18:59 by mhurt »

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #3 on: 10, September, 2012 - 09:52:59 »
The temperature indicator is just showing ambient.How do you prpose translating the signal from the motor and getting it into the monitor?

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #4 on: 07, October, 2012 - 17:07:30 »
Sorry for the delay in posting an update on this!  I purchased the monitor I mentioned at the start of this thread and installed it where the POD should have been.  The cable containing the outside temperature sensor is just long enough to feed it under the C5 and onto the motor.

When powered up it works really well showing me outside and motor temperature, battery voltage and it also has a clock and an alarm I think.  The top of the unit is slightly curved and fits nicely to the C5 and has a nice Blue back light when powered on.  I attached it with some double-sided tape.

I've posted a picture here of it attached to my C5:

http://www.dansretropod.com/documents/images/computers/large/C5_New_Display.jpg

Thanks!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #5 on: 07, October, 2012 - 17:17:56 »
Very nice bud  :) :)

Offline mhurt

• 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #6 on: 07, October, 2012 - 17:23:17 »
Heh, I almost posted this morning to ask if there was any update (I'd just soldered a digital volt meter on at the time).
It looks great - have you done any checks to see how accurate the motor temp reading is?

I'm pretty tempted, although my pod is still connected so it would have to be mounted just in front of it. All it needs now is a speedo :)

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #7 on: 07, October, 2012 - 19:28:23 »
Thanks for the comments!

It looks great - have you done any checks to see how accurate the motor temp reading is?

I've only had time to do a quick drive with it on and the motor temp went up 1 degree after a 5 minute run with the motor on for a lot of it.  I'll have to give it a longer test in the future when the weather permits.  For me it doesn't have to be too accurate, I just wanted some sort of indication when the motor temp is increasing so I can give the motor a rest as my C5 does't have a POD/control box.

For a speedo I've just used a cheap wired bicycle computer and attached the sensor part to the rear brake wheel which seems to do the job.

Thanks!

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 07, October, 2012 - 20:57:29 »
Nicely done  ;)

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #9 on: 07, October, 2012 - 21:36:06 »
Has anyone used something other than a cycle computer for a digital speedo?

Just had a look at mhut's unit. The supplier appears to be a right weirdo, in his 'Post to:' list he quotes  "N. and S. America, Europe, Australia". The first entry in his WOW! exclusion list (200 + countries)  is "Excludes: South America"???, and the only country in N. America is Canada. It would have been easier just to include the countries he will supply to.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #10 on: 08, October, 2012 - 10:17:43 »
No he isn't a weirdo, just cautious. I also won't ship to those countries, as postal transit insurance is difficult to get fo South America and Product Liability insurance is too expensive for the mega-litigious USA.

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #11 on: 08, October, 2012 - 13:16:22 »
Not a Weirdo?

He quotes "Post to; N. and S. America", and then includes S. America in his exclusion list.

Supplies from H.K., but will not deliver there.

And why not to Austria, Germany, Switzerland, (all have a better delivery records that the UK*), Gibraltar, Guernsey, and Jersey.

With over 200 exclusions it would be quicker, shorter, and easier to say "I will deliver to"

*Read 'Reply #4' in http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2596.0.html