News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: engine performance bad  (Read 2842 times)

henzi

engine performance bad
« on: 15, September, 2012 - 10:38:39 »
Hi,

I own a C5 for a while, added a 7speed hub, new battery, Phil's ULA replacement module (thanks) and was/am happy with it.

Some time ago I had the opportunity to get a second C5 for 150 € and bought it for my 15yr old son. That C5 was converted to a control box from an electric wheelchair, and when I tried it at home it runned really slow.  Really slow means, about half as fast as my first one,  maybe 12km/h - not much slower than a fast walk and really frustrating  for my son. I thought that the wheelchair engine control was faulty, but now I know I was wrong about that.
The last days I spent some time and tried to figure things out. It has nothing to do with the control box - even if I connect the motor directly to the battery it runs that weak. I took both motors out and let them run "outside" the C5s, and then there was no remarkable difference - similar sound, similar speed. I disassembled the "weak" motor; everything looked fine: no signs of damage, no visible shortings or breaks, nothing melted, easily turnable by hand. I cleaned everything an put it together again.
Then I mounted my "old" motor into the "new" C5, and it runs (normally) fast.
The weak motor draws (running free outside the C5) 3.4 Ampere, the faster motor draws (bulit in, rear wheels lifted) nearly twice as much (both on the same single 12V battery). Any idea about it? Anyone a cheap motor to let?
Greetings,
Henning

Karl

Re: engine performance bad
« Reply #1 on: 15, September, 2012 - 12:28:48 »
Are the brushes the correct ones ? I stopped selling them myself because sometimes the stuff being supplied to me wasn't correct - even though they looked right and fitted perfectly they caused the motor to run very slow.

If you need a used motor I can find one for you but it might be worth exchanging the heads on each of the motors to see if you can get the "slow" one to run properly.

If that doesn't cure it , try exchanging the armatures as you also need to see if the bearings are good.

It could be that you just need a few different parts rather than the whole motor. If that turns out to be the case let me know what you need.

henzi

« Reply #2 on: 15, September, 2012 - 17:29:04 »
Hi,

the hint with the brushes was great! I disassembled the slow motor again, cleaned again espacially the brushes and the contact area, and now the C5 speeds okay. If the error will show again, I am going to change the brushes for new ones, but for now everything looks pretty okay.

Next now is switching back the motors.  Then on my own C5 I will just reconnect CB&POD, maybe adding the fan now. For my son's C5 I've got to think about what kind of motor controller I want to use:  a) Original CB&POD (POD is working fine, including ULA; CB not tested yet, but should be no Problem), b) the "Meyra" Control it came with (including a throttle lever with bowden cable), or c) a Hongkong-chinese modern 12V250W motor control in a small aluminium case, controlled by a small potentiometer with a knob, I ordered for small money some time ago. At the moment I prefer a combination of a) and b). But that would be a question for a different section of the forum.

Thanks a lot,
Henning

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #3 on: 16, September, 2012 - 13:18:44 »
Don't use the cheap Chinese control they don't work.

Radiomarty tried them and ended with 4QD Uni 8 - 24v.

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,678.105.html

Lance