News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Fitting a derailleur ?  (Read 4170 times)

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Fitting a derailleur ?
« on: 09, October, 2012 - 12:24:12 »
A friend is quite interested in getting a C5 after trying mine, but as he's a bit (lot!) fitter than I am, he wants to be able to pedal more, so has asked me what the easiest way to fit 6 speed (or more) gears and a derailleur - and I don't have a Scooby :)

I know a couple of people on here have done it, but I haven't seen any clear pictures or details.

Any help would be appreciated, and might just create another enthusiast to save and restore a C5 :)

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Re: Fitting a derailleur ?
« Reply #1 on: 09, October, 2012 - 13:39:51 »
I think it would be better and easier to fit a 7 speed hub, this subject has been covered a couple of times in the forum.

I converted my first C5 to take a 3 speed hub, I just cut off the rear fork from an old frame and brazed it to the C5 frame. Before cutting of the fork I brazed 2 small plates between the arms to retain the correct positioning, these were later removed but could have remained for strength.
Because I will be using a trailer on my second C5 I'll be fitting a 7 speed hub, the hub is a freewheeler and IIRC this hub will also accept a disk for braking. I also have a 3 speed hub with integrated 7 speed derailleur set, but I will not be using this unit because of the ground clearance (now and again I have to drive over long grass).

If you do use a derailleur unit it would be advisable to avoid a MB cogset because of the longer shifter cage length, this will affect the ground clearance. The close ratio cogset only requires a short shifter length.

If you need any other info just email me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the front end and chain, you will have to swop the front end or grind the teeth down to accomodate the narrower chain.
« Last Edit: 09, October, 2012 - 14:33:14 by KarlG »

Offline mhurt

« Reply #2 on: 09, October, 2012 - 14:50:51 »
I intend to use a 3-speed hub gear for mine (when the kids stop bleeding my wallet dry!) as I've seen that its pretty straightforward, but he wants a derailleur for some reason, and I don't know enough to now the differences when riding :)

Offline KarlG

« Reply #3 on: 09, October, 2012 - 15:31:26 »
Sorry, but you've lost me with "differences when riding ".

Offline mhurt

« Reply #4 on: 09, October, 2012 - 15:43:10 »
Don't ask me, I hadn't been on a bike in over 25 years until recently (6 speed trike), and didnt have gears back then either :) For whatever reason, my mate doesn't like hub gears *shrug*.
I understand that side as much as I understand women :)

Offline baselpat

• Battery level: 6
    • My C5 Photos
« Reply #5 on: 09, October, 2012 - 20:01:26 »
My C5 has had a 7 gear Derailleur fitted by a previous owner.  Yes, it helps the pedaling, but it does make things a little more complicated underneath.

In this case my C5 has an extension to the chassis that "closes" the Y, to which all the gearing is attached:

(Larger copies of these photos can be found http://photos.cm7.ch/C5/C5-derailleur/.)

The chain tensioner has been replaced with a reverse "derailleur small cog pair", but not geared:

Overview of both "ends"

If I were add gears myself, I would have gone down the hub route (which I also have on my "daily" bike) which are fairly simpler to maintain and have almost the same gearing as these old derailleur types.

Hope that helps.

Pat

Offline mhurt

« Reply #6 on: 10, October, 2012 - 09:07:02 »
Thanks! Those images are pretty clear and should definitely help.
I will pass the link on, and hopefully it will be enough to persuade him to join our ranks.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #7 on: 10, October, 2012 - 12:41:59 »
My this C5 is a masterpiece of engineering. I'd love to have the workshop and tools to produce this kind of job.

Bye the way, is there any chance that you could sell me your subframe?  ;D ;D