News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Is this Ammeter Shunt original ?  (Read 4508 times)

Offline baselpat

• Battery level: 6
    • My C5 Photos
Is this Ammeter Shunt original ?
« on: 10, October, 2012 - 12:59:24 »
Quick question.  Under the seat behind one of the batteries, is this Shunt:

Was this the one originally installed on the C5?  The technical documents and original circuit diagrams refer to a shunt (x10 & x11), but not its location.  It is not currently connected to anything, but at one time was connected to a small ammeter mounted under the original pod. As this new addition of an ammeter is obviously not originally how the C5 metering worked, I wondered if it was the original shunt or not.

Thanks

Pat

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Re: Is this Ammeter Shunt original ?
« Reply #1 on: 10, October, 2012 - 13:42:24 »
Hi Pat,

the original C5 shunt, as shown in the C5 cct diagram is located in the control box.

EDIT: Looking at the board with the relay located at the bottom, the shunt is mounted to the left of the relay on 3 spacers.
« Last Edit: 10, October, 2012 - 13:47:26 by KarlG »

Offline baselpat

• My C5 Photos
« Reply #2 on: 10, October, 2012 - 13:48:33 »
the original C5 shunt, as shown in the C5 cct diagram is located in the control box.

Thanks, So not like this one then, as it would be a bit smaller is size  ;)

Thank you.  Now I know it not the original one, I have no issues with replacing it with another one that is more arduino friendly.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #3 on: 10, October, 2012 - 13:51:58 »
Why not tap onto the original shunt?

Offline baselpat

• My C5 Photos
« Reply #4 on: 10, October, 2012 - 14:01:32 »
My C5 seems to have gone though many changes of the years, and so,  not much of the original electronics exist ( only the pod, but that is not connected to anything and seems dead).  Without an original for reference or nearby I am asking these "dumb" questions to see what may have been original.  For the most part I have worked it out, but the shunt didn't look like it had been mounted as a hacked on  bodge or replacement  :D

I am in the process of making a Arduino pod to replace the original so that although my C5 doesn't have much as the electrical systems in place,  it will look like they do and perform useful led feedback etc

Offline KarlG

« Reply #5 on: 10, October, 2012 - 14:11:13 »
Hi Pat,

come on, let us all into your secret project.  ;D

What have you foreseen concerning functions/indication etc. with the Arduino unit.

Offline baselpat

• My C5 Photos
« Reply #6 on: 10, October, 2012 - 20:02:58 »
come on, let us all into your secret project.  ;D

What have you foreseen concerning functions/indication etc. with the Arduino unit.

Not a secret, just not ready to show my setup to a wider world just yet.  ;) .   I've only just joined the forum and don't want to come across with too many ideas etc, or they may see to seen as vaporware or wishful thinking  ::) .

I currently have no "controller" for my C5 and very little in the way of visual indicators, as the pod, although complete has all wires cut and hence not attached to anything, and the "hacked-on" ampmeter too has had its wires snipped.  I am in the process of tracking down the original importer my C5 into get new copies of the registration/test documents required for all "45kph" mopeds here in Switzerland (which in it's current state, is what it is classed as) which I need to get local number plates etc in my local kanton. 
This is taking time and may not yet bring any results.

So my "Plan B" is to turn my C5 into a pedalec with a fixed top speed of 25kph to re-class it as a E-Bike.  To do this I need a new controller and having evaluated the ULA replacement option (but, I have no control box anyway), I decided to make my own using a spare Arduino unit.  The advantage of this is, that should I successful get the C5 registered as a moped "Plan A", then I can still use the new Arduino pod contoller for power/health/speed indicators etc and not use the pelalec bit (or make it switchable for outing across the border to German or France)

But I'll start a new thread about that in the next week or so, once I've got some successful working photos to share (other than this sample video - not that it shows much at the moment aside from a led test last month)
« Last Edit: 10, October, 2012 - 21:47:49 by baselpat »