News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Cutout over bumps?  (Read 2953 times)

Offline alecjw

• Battery level: 0
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Cutout over bumps?
« on: 24, November, 2013 - 15:05:09 »
Hi,
I've noticed something odd with my C5: I'll be going along with light motor load - inside the green section, going on the flat. Motor presumably running nice and cool. Then when I go over even the smallest bump in the road, the motor will cut out without  without warning - my motor load indicator flashes but the battery indicator doesn't. If i switch off the ignition then switch it back on again, it will carry on going quite happily until the next bump. I try to avoid potholes and the like, but this happens even on small bumps eg where they've dug a trench through the road and filled it in. Sometimes even it's just barely visible dips in the road surface which I only notice as a slight shaking of the chassis when I go over them.

Anyone know what's up here? Could it be some sort of contact intermittency triggered by the shaking?

Thanks
Alec

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Cutout over bumps?
« Reply #1 on: 24, November, 2013 - 18:19:52 »
Hi do you have the original key switch if so the problem is there they have allways been a problem.
Bye Chas

Offline alecjw

« Reply #2 on: 24, November, 2013 - 18:23:46 »
Hi do you have the original key switch if so the problem is there they have allways been a problem.
Bye Chas

Chas, I do indeed. Is this a known bug with it? As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking to replace the batteries and may do away with the original battery top and keyswitch. That won't be 'till the new year though.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #3 on: 24, November, 2013 - 18:26:12 »
Yes it is ....Chas

Offline alecjw

« Reply #4 on: 24, November, 2013 - 18:46:19 »
Yes it is ....Chas

I see. Is it just the vibration breaking the contact in the keyswitch mechanism? I wonder if spraying a bit of contact cleaner in it and on the battery contacts will help?

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 24, November, 2013 - 18:47:18 »
You could try it and see ....

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #6 on: 25, November, 2013 - 08:14:53 »
I had this issue once when using a different battery top to usual. I bent the contacts on the battery top back, towards the back of the C5, a tad and I haven't had an issue since.

Offline alecjw

« Reply #7 on: 25, November, 2013 - 20:46:36 »
Chas, kamilb1998: I tried both of these things (contact cleaner and bending the contacts) and the combination of the two seems to have worked. I drove it all the way from the engineering dept back to my house (about 4km) without a single cutout. Horray! Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline dansretropod

• Battery level: 3
  • The C5 was born to be customised... 3D style
    • www.c5owners.com
« Reply #8 on: 25, November, 2013 - 21:27:10 »
You could try one of Chas's wiring kits, I wouldn't trust the old key switch assembly :P

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #9 on: 25, November, 2013 - 22:43:10 »
People do criticise the original key switch but I think its perfectly adequate if maintained well. I use my C5 daily and have done a good few thousand miles with the key switch and I can't remember the last time it gave me any issues.