News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: changing rear tyres  (Read 3687 times)

giles

changing rear tyres
« on: 27, October, 2009 - 12:20:27 »
Hi Folks,
I have never changed a bike tyre with a plastic structure (I assume th rear wheels are also plastic).  I am slightly worrid that the plastic rim will not take the lever load when trying to remove the tyres with tyre levers.
Can anyone give me either a top tip or some confidence not to worry!

Cheers, Giles

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: changing rear tyres
« Reply #1 on: 27, October, 2009 - 12:36:57 »
Hi there Giles you can put most of the tyre on the rim with your fingers whilst holding the wheel with your knee then the last bit can be leaved over with a spoon handle (if it's not sharp) I've done loads this way .bye Chas

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 27, October, 2009 - 13:04:16 »
Dont panic getting the tyre on the rim, its quite straight forward, but make sure the tyre is evenly fitted around the wheel rim by pumping up the tyre a bit and keep making sure you use the bounce method, as I had one come off once, but I think the tyre was a bit out of shape also.

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 27, October, 2009 - 16:27:42 »
This might help;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=248.0

As Andy says, you need to make sure the tyre is sitting properly on the wheel rim -  and be careful not to pinch the inner tube (quite frustrating when this happens  :P)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #4 on: 01, November, 2009 - 19:24:56 »
in the garages on alloy rims they often use a piece of purpose made tough polythene strip placed between the lever and the rim,

a source of suitable material is tupperware cartons - but don't let the wife catch you  :o

regs
alan