News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Make it go FASTER ! ???  (Read 4699 times)

Durango2k

Make it go FASTER ! ???
« on: 05, November, 2009 - 20:50:35 »
Hi,

after some weeks of driving: How could I re-work a C5 to make it go faster ? I mean, I do not really want to fit a 24V kit cause I fear to break the gearbox. So is there a motor which could replace the original one, would work with a grip shift like gas handle ? I would also rework the drive belt system, and weld a cogwheel onto the drive shaft. And an adjustable tensioner for it.

And a 7gear for the pedal part.

Wish list for XMas.... if it goes 30+, and offers a good torque, then it's fine :-). Problem is all the bikes simply overtake and laugh at me. Last time it was "look, James Bond in secret mission, there's 005 over there!" in front of a school...

Carsten

Nitrowing

Re: Make it go FASTER ! ???
« Reply #1 on: 05, November, 2009 - 23:18:00 »
Tell me about it. I was thoroughly thrashed by a 10 year old on a BMX on acceleration and top speed  >:(

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 06, November, 2009 - 07:23:13 »
Its all part of the fun when your out and about on you C5, most of the comments I get are positive ones, and if someone wants to pedal like hell just to prove a point then let get red in the face by doing so, as you know with the push of one little button you will get there, without getting out of breath.

Retro Andy.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #3 on: 06, November, 2009 - 08:40:32 »
Tell me about it. I was thoroughly thrashed by a 10 year old on a BMX on acceleration and top speed  >:(

i think kids do that just out of spite. i went to Austria over one Christmas, decided to hire some ski's from a shop, get fitted alll proper, and out onto the nursery slope i go, I spent 2 exausting hours just trying to stand up, and when i did some little tike of a 4 year old wized passed me and the draft blew me over again lol!

regs
alan

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
« Reply #4 on: 06, November, 2009 - 09:47:37 »
The first time i went out on mine it was a Sunday afternoon, nice sunny day  ... and i went past the local pub  :D :D
Got a few comments but it just made me smile  ;D

It might be a bit embarrasing to get overtaken by little kids, or have comments made for not going that quick, but probably be more embarrasing if you did tweak it a bit, and then get pulled over by the police  :D

Daz

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #5 on: 06, November, 2009 - 11:41:19 »
The first time i went out on mine it was a Sunday afternoon, nice sunny day  ... and i went past the local pub  :D :D
Got a few comments but it just made me smile  ;D

It might be a bit embarrasing to get overtaken by little kids, or have comments made for not going that quick, but probably be more embarrasing if you did tweak it a bit, and then get pulled over by the police  :D

Daz

Your C5 is quite a quick one Daz! Pulled away from Agro when we were on the motor. Only real way to make a c5 fast and reliable is to bin the standard motor and gearbox set up and go for a beefier set up.

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
« Reply #6 on: 06, November, 2009 - 13:45:47 »
You'd overtake me on the hills though  :D

I wonder how quick you could get a C5 to go without breaking the bank ............ leaving the land speed records to Mr Harper  :D

Daz

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 06, November, 2009 - 21:18:19 »

.... Only real way to make a c5 fast and reliable is to bin the standard motor and gearbox set up and go for a beefier set up.

Bit like this one then  ;D ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=559.0

..shame its not road legal  :-[ , at 31mph you could keep up with a few mopeds  and even out accelerate a few cars off the lights ;D

Best bit of all is that the component parts came in at less than £300, which is a lot of fun for quite a small outlay  ;)

I freely admit I was lucky to get the chassis mucho cheap (..cheers Spike) and Electric Dave was very generous with his time - but as Fez says, bigger motors and (in this case) a chain drive can give you a reliable increase in power, enough to ease your lust for speed - probably  :P