News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: C5 Seems a bit slow  (Read 6473 times)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
C5 Seems a bit slow
« on: 17, February, 2010 - 20:46:55 »
Yesterday was the first longish run i have done with the C5 since i got it running, and it seemd a lot slower than the rest on the run, (had to do a lot of peddling to keep up at times).

I have not had the motor apart since i got the C5 so was planning to give it a a full service when the weather arms up a a bit.

Should i find anything a amiss, are things like bearings and brushes available ?

My battery held up ok yesterday,  but the motor did seem very slow and a lot quieter that the other 3, not sure if thats good or bad !  ???

John

Karl

Re: C5 Seems a bit slow
« Reply #1 on: 17, February, 2010 - 21:55:21 »
Treating the c5 to a good service can never be a bad thing. Making sure everything is properly adjusted & lubed should minimise the rolling resistance,which in turn leads to better range and performance, as does properly inflated tyres etc.

I didn't notice your particular c5 as being that much slower during our Cambridge run.

As an aside, don't forget not all c5's were equal even when new. Adam told me that the company experimented with the armature windings resulting in different power characteristics.
Some are slightly slower,but better at going up hills whereas others are slightly quicker, but then don't do as well on hills.

The only way to tell is to dismantle the motors and start comparing the armature windings.

I reckon a bit of service work will sort yours out nicely :)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #2 on: 18, February, 2010 - 19:38:51 »
I did have a go at the gear box and all the wheel bearings etc last summer, but stopped at the motor, i will give that look when the weather gets a bit better and hope i can get it back together again.  :-\

I might give it a complete strip down and get the chasis repainted if i can find somewhere local that will sand blast powder coat it.

John

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 18, February, 2010 - 20:20:29 »
Hi there yes it is right some of the motors are faster than others you can tell the difference when you get inside the motor the windings are different (some have thicker wire than others ) But what I do is to check the speed with a rev counter that I have it gives the speed of the motor in revs per min (but not under load) Then you can decide which one (if you have more than one) you want to use without dismantling the motor

« Last Edit: 19, February, 2010 - 16:44:47 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

• Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 19, February, 2010 - 13:14:43 »
Regarding the speed of the motors I.v just checked out 5 reconditioned new/old/used C5 motors (with gearbox fitted ) and with no load  and this is the result
The highest speed was 1025 rpm then 1020 rpm /1010 rpm /970 rpm and the last one was 950 rpm
So as you can see there is quiet a lot difference
Also just in case you think the fastest one was the new one it was not it was only 970 rpm
So as you can see with the results there will be a difference in the speed of the C5
But a good stripdown clean and re grease won't go a mis 

« Last Edit: 19, February, 2010 - 13:19:54 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 19, February, 2010 - 14:45:23 »
cheers Chas, thats some useful info there  8)

Might have to store these details in the techy side of the forum to make sure this stuff doesn't get buried !

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #6 on: 19, February, 2010 - 15:05:14 »
Thanks for that, i will give it a good looking at when the weather gets warmer. A new set of brushes and i think i will get a new battery as a spare.

I do have a second C5 so i might swap the motors and compare the results.

Thanks for the info, all very useful to get this sort of advice.

John

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 19, February, 2010 - 16:18:05 »
Hi there just done some calculations

The motor speed of 1025rpm will give you a speed of approx 12.25 mph

The motor speed of 1020rpm will give you a speed of approx 12.20 mph

The motor speed of 1010rpm will give you a speed of approx 12.08 mph

The motor speed of 970rpm will give you a speed  of approx 11.60 mph

The motor speed of 950rpm will give you a speed of  approx 11.35 mph

(All of the results are with the c5 not under load and therefore will be different under load
And it will also depend on the condition of the c5 and the battery but it will give you some idea  how fast/slow it should go .

« Last Edit: 19, February, 2010 - 17:03:01 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #8 on: 19, February, 2010 - 18:21:42 »
I think mine is at the bottom of the list  :-[

Mini Man 91

« Reply #9 on: 15, August, 2010 - 13:48:50 »
Im looking to buy a sinclair c5 and would like to know if any has information on the adam harper 24v conversion kit.. Ive had trouble finding out how to get hold of the kit and also how much better it makes your sinclair,
Can any help me with this please?

Rory the Mini Man :)

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 15, August, 2010 - 15:00:07 »
Adam Harper is taking some time out at the moment, hence the reason his website is "off line".

I've not seen one myself, although one was recently shown for sale on this forum. I believe his conversion involves, amongst other things, a lot of rewiring and the fitting of a reinforced gearbox. It has the advantage of still using the pod and works by initially powering at 12v then ,once you've gained momentum, you engage the 24v mode. I think the cost was around £450 .

chrisbaildon

« Reply #11 on: 15, August, 2010 - 19:20:50 »
I have an Adam Harper 24v machine and can confirm lots of wiring  ;D

When I had my C5 converted by him we did nothing with the gearbox, but then when it went he fitted a reinforced one which lasted about 6 or 7 years but recently went (the pics of what happened to it are on the forum here somewhere). I am recently back from a 2 week holiday at 2 local steam and vintage rallies (at Pickering & Driffield), where my C5 ran brilliantly (thanks Chas for the new motor & fitting advice). I will try take some pictures at the weekend of all the wiring underneath the C5 and post them on here.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #12 on: 15, August, 2010 - 19:53:52 »
Hi there one other problem with the C5 going slow is that sometimes the drive belt has been tightend to much and it puts a lot of strain on the motor ...bye Chas 

• Millennium Member
« Reply #13 on: 15, August, 2010 - 20:04:33 »
Hi there check out this on the search box (metal gearbox)
then click on    C5 24 volt gearbox damaged
bye Chas