News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Picked up another C5 project last night from Gosport - video attached!  (Read 2876 times)

Offline POZE

• Battery level: 1
Hello guys
Hopefully the video link to youtube works...

Brought this of ebay on Thur and picked it up last night after work, quick hours drive each way.

Dec 1984, project, indicators, seat, horn, mirrors and dual battery model.
The owner said that their uncle brought it in '85, used it for 6 months before having a stroke, he then gave it to his 7 year old nephew as he loved it.  This nephew owned it until he went to Uni etc and he basically left it with his parent for the other family members to use.

The battery connectors have been cut and replaced with bull dog clips, luckily the cut of units and battery tops are still with the C5. The pod has presumably given up, so he mounted a throttle switch, security key and a random push button below the steering (see the video).

Original tyres, missing one centre cap.

Both battery chargers present as is the chain tensioner.

Indicators, horn and lights work which is great!

Grey boot and lock/keys all match!!

One interesting bit of damage is that the brown gearbox wobbles when tested, had a look a moment ago and removed the motor. The motor was cable tied and mounted with additional ali plates and 1p coins to give the correct tightness/belt tension!!   Basically all the legs/pins that secure the gearbox to the motor are not there!, guess someone tried to replace or regrease something maybe, or there fragile and just broke.

Either way, I will need a new motor/leg part.! I'll also fix the pod and either remove/blank or leave the switches is, i want it operating correctly, but i might just leave the switches as i think it adds a story and is probably better than using grommets..

Overall very please , cost £195 +petrol, so with a new motor and some pod/general work, it will be great! and its early which i like.

Cheers,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfF7xxk5EV0&feature=youtu.be

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Re: Picked up another C5 project last night from Gosport - video attached!
« Reply #1 on: 21, January, 2012 - 21:44:49 »
Nice work :)

Offline POZE

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 21, January, 2012 - 22:10:03 »
Heres a pic, got the kids washing it, they love the C5s!

one of the Chopper and other C5s! :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 22, January, 2012 - 10:24:55 »
Like the chopper and the VDub, any moore pictures ?

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 22, January, 2012 - 12:28:29 »
Thats those "brown fingers" as featured on the linked topic below;
 http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=322.0

...very brittle plastic that just tended to shear off rather than flex - as demonstrated in your piccies.

Top bodging to get round the problem  ;D

Assuming the greabox and motor are sound just replace those fingers with a cream coloured set  ;)