News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: gear box research  (Read 7047 times)

Offline scott

• Battery level: 8
gear box research
« on: 09, February, 2009 - 12:50:03 »
 ;D

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: gear box research
« Reply #1 on: 09, February, 2009 - 15:27:29 »
:)

were you meant to be saying something ?

Offline scott

gear box research 2nd try sorry
« Reply #2 on: 09, February, 2009 - 21:31:54 »
sorry to waste your time earlier  i had computer problem, i was trying to let u know that i've given my gear box and belt gear to mike an engineer and hes going to make a copy out of metal so it can be tested  out with 24 volts, will keep u informed   scott.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 09, February, 2009 - 21:42:00 »
outstanding behaviour mate  8)

ps - I merged the two topics (just in case you were wondering...)

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #4 on: 10, February, 2009 - 09:34:15 »
two words - Good Luck!

Offline scott

« Reply #5 on: 10, February, 2009 - 10:52:08 »
two words - Good Luck!
thanks fingers crossed !

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
« Reply #6 on: 10, February, 2009 - 13:48:01 »
good luck it will be the best thing to happen to the c5 since its launch if it does not cost the earth

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 10, February, 2009 - 14:09:26 »
good luck it will be the best thing to happen to the c5 since its launch if it does not cost the earth

cost is what stopped my initial enquiries....was quoted £1k as a start off price  :o

if this does work out ok, I expect there will be increased enthusiasm for 24v kits  ;)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #8 on: 10, February, 2009 - 19:11:02 »
Karl, i have been thinking of a 24v kit for mine as i have been using it to get to work on recently and starting to feel the "need for speed" if thats possible, how much does it cost and whats the up's and the down's of 24v

Retro Andy
« Last Edit: 10, February, 2009 - 19:12:45 by Retro Andy »

Karl

« Reply #9 on: 10, February, 2009 - 21:02:46 »
Karl, i have been thinking of a 24v kit for mine as i have been using it to get to work on recently and starting to feel the "need for speed" if thats possible, how much does it cost and whats the up's and the down's of 24v

Retro Andy

We've withdrawn our 24v kit due to concerns about damaging the gearbox. When set to full power, as we did with Jason Bradburys C5, the gearbox will overheat and self destruct in about 2.5 hours - but it is a real scream while it lasts  ;D

In order to preserve the gearbox, you have to set the controller to the point where you are only getting marginal improvements in performance. You will have a slightly higher top speed, and better hill assist. But, you will always need to use two batteries,thereby reducing your range because you cannot carry spares.  You also loose the use of the pod. A steel wheel conversion is also a good idea, because the increase in speed will mean extra work for the brakes. From memory, the cost for the kit - with a throttle conversion - was about £200 when I took over c5alive.

wizbat, kurt and a few others have tried Voodoo and , although they enjoyed it, I dont think they thought it was worth the extra money when all things were considered - mainly trashing the gearbox. As we know, c5's can be temperamental enough at the best of times  :D

This might change though , if we can sort the gearbox problem ....

(with apologies to Scott for the thread drift  :-*)

Offline Kurt

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #10 on: 10, February, 2009 - 23:08:11 »
Andy,

Speaking personally I would love to buy a second C5 and jazz it up with a 24v kit, which is great fun, the big sticking issue as Karl mentioned is destroying the gearbox by accident. It has been really noticeable on the various runs how heavy the 24v kit is also on the batteries, as with my single leisure battery I rarely have lost a bar or two when Karl has ran out of juice with his two batteries in Voodoo. It would be great if you could have a switchable kit between 12v and 24v where you could have like a cruise and turbo boost mode for those crazy moments.

Kurt.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #11 on: 11, February, 2009 - 06:25:20 »
Thanks guys, i remmeber now why i wanted to keep Charlie original, i would only go for the 24v option if it did'nt mean having other issues with it. So Scott may come up with the answer, and with Martin as electrical wizzard it may become a great extra for the c5, fingers crossed and good luck.

Retro Andy

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #12 on: 11, February, 2009 - 10:19:37 »
Andy,

Speaking personally I would love to buy a second C5 and jazz it up with a 24v kit, which is great fun, the big sticking issue as Karl mentioned is destroying the gearbox by accident. It has been really noticeable on the various runs how heavy the 24v kit is also on the batteries, as with my single leisure battery I rarely have lost a bar or two when Karl has ran out of juice with his two batteries in Voodoo. It would be great if you could have a switchable kit between 12v and 24v where you could have like a cruise and turbo boost mode for those crazy moments.

Kurt.

You can...........................If you hand over a vital organ over to Adam Harper! There is also a wiring diagram on another c5 site for a simple switchable 12/24v conversion you will have to search for it as i dont want to step on karls toes.

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 11, February, 2009 - 21:15:09 »
It is fair comment that Adam is not the cheapest, but then the best never is  8) For the money you spend with him, you will get a proper professional conversion with a "factory finish". He usually recommends a strengthened gearbox is included in the 24v conversion, which also impacts on the price.I believe his conversion is also 12/24v switchable, and retains usage of the pod.

As with everything , our own 24v kit included, there are always different versions on a similar theme. Ours did not retain usage of the pod for example.

The important thing is to make sure you compare "like for like" - our kit offered at the time was ready to "plug and play", unlike the alternatives that were being offered.

But I also believe no matter what kit you fit, the gearbox remains "the weakest link" .

« Last Edit: 11, February, 2009 - 21:36:51 by Karl (C5Alive) »