News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: solar panel charger!  (Read 3253 times)

peter2ltr

solar panel charger!
« on: 24, February, 2012 - 20:00:02 »
Does anyone use a solar panel charger on there c5 when there out for a run to extend there battery life!
Does it work or would it work? ???
I have a charger i use on my kit car when its sitting not being used and wondered if it work on the c5 whilst out and about on it?
Pete

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: solar panel charger!
« Reply #1 on: 24, February, 2012 - 20:01:26 »
I think you would be taking more out than you could put in...

rafarestaura

« Reply #2 on: 24, February, 2012 - 21:19:48 »
Hi Peter, yes, you can use a solar panel to increase battery autonomy. For me, the better choice is a flexible solar panel, easy to fix at the front of the C5. You have enough place to put a 20 watts panel, that means about 1,5 amps/hour of generation. That also means if you go out for a sunday trip with your C5 from ten to four in a sunny day you will get about 9 amps for your battery, about a 20% more of usable power, thinking you have a 44 amps battery or similar. I think it´s a good idea. You can see this kind of panel here, as an example, there is cheapest if you search more:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20w-Semi-flexible-Mono-solar-panel-car-boat-caravan-12V-FREE-SHIPPING-/270773394516?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item3f0b5a1c54

I use a similar one to maintain the charge of the cars, the van and to charge the batteries of my electric vehicles, there are a lot of sunny hours here  :) :).

Regards, Rafael

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #3 on: 27, February, 2012 - 17:44:33 »
This would be good for when you are parked outside too

I imagine if you were to drive for 4 - 5 miles to work then leave it in the sun for a few hours you'd come back to find it full charged.

Would obstruct the head light though  :(

It's a pity mine gets parked out of the light at work

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #4 on: 27, February, 2012 - 19:24:09 »
This would be good for when you are parked outside too

I imagine if you were to drive for 4 - 5 miles to work then leave it in the sun for a few hours you'd come back to find it full charged.

Would obstruct the head light though  :(

It's a pity mine gets parked out of the light at work

This sounds good, I may get one for when my C5 is parked at school.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #5 on: 27, February, 2012 - 20:40:39 »
How are you finding leaving the C5 at school. Has anyone tried to take it for a spin wilst you are not there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They may just remove the solar panel as they are worth something..................

Lance

peter2ltr

« Reply #6 on: 27, February, 2012 - 20:43:24 »
That flexi solar panel looks very smart and gives a good out put
my charger was one from maplin brief case style idle for keeping in the boot and put you battery on charge whilst at work or when ever its maybe not so good for riding about with it fitted it was reasonably priced aswell pretty sure it was under 20 pound
pete