News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: advice needed on buying a c5  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Dave.76

• Battery level: 3
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
advice needed on buying a c5
« on: 07, April, 2012 - 13:28:06 »
Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum and would be grateful for some help.

I've not had a c5 before and just looked at one that is for sale locally.

I read the buying guide on here before going to look and I think it looks basically ok. Chassis looks good. Chain tensioner is present and correct. It has indicators, mirrors not atttached and the foam seat cover.

The things that I’m not sure about are as follows:

It seems to be a twin battery model 2 key switches but has not battery connectors in either foot well.

The front light is missing and the body is cracked at this point running horizontally for about 3 inches from the front the light mounting hole to the edge of where the decal should be.This worries me the most about this c5.

The front wheel looks like it has been heated by the brakes, the rim looks slightly melted and the front wheel cover is missing.

I just wondered what your opinions are on this c5, difficult I know without seeing it. Do you think it’s worth buying? and what should I pay?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

« Last Edit: 07, April, 2012 - 13:31:50 by Dave.76 »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: advice needed on buying a c5
« Reply #1 on: 07, April, 2012 - 15:13:51 »
Is it this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinclair-C5-/130676675493?pt=UK_Collectables_OtherTransportation_RL&hash=item1e6cefd3a5

The keyswitch plugs into the top of the battery top - no need for battery connectors. You can get a conversion kit which allows you to fit battery connectors and this is supposed to be more reliable, but I've never had any trouble with any of my keyswitches.

Front lights are around £40. If the body crack bothers you, replacements are around £30 and a bodyshell swap on one of these takes less than a day.

The front wheels are often damaged by heat from the brakes - in worst cases it can cause a burst inner tube. A good solution is to get a replacement metal wheel.

It would be worth buying if you are looking for one to restore; good, sorted examples fetch around the £400-£500 mark. So do consider whether reparing this one will be worth it or whether it's better to just get an already restored example.

Offline Dave.76

« Reply #2 on: 07, April, 2012 - 20:25:34 »
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply and explaining the battery connection situation, I can see now that the plastic box that the key switch sits on on top of the battery is also missing.

Thanks for the advice, I'm now trying to weigh up the good verses bad points and will take what you said in consederation before buying.

thanks again

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 08, April, 2012 - 11:10:19 »
Hi Dave,

Welcome to c5alive. If you want to try out one of Sir Clives finest inventions then why not come along to the Crawley run...I'll loan you a c5 for the day  8)

Offline Dave.76

« Reply #4 on: 08, April, 2012 - 21:18:32 »
Hi There

Thanks for the welcome and the extremely kind offer of use of one of your c5's for the day. Unfortunately its too far for me to go in a day as I live in East Yorkshire.

Thanks though.

Dave

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #5 on: 09, April, 2012 - 08:59:42 »
Hi there Dave I will be going down to the the Crawley run and thanks to Karl I will also be loaning a C5 for the day ,and at the same time picking up some spares .I live in Derbyshire and you are Welcome to come down with me ...bye Chas

Offline Dave.76

« Reply #6 on: 09, April, 2012 - 18:36:53 »
Thanks everyone for the kind offers.

I'd love to go on the Crawley run but as I work in a school I'm not able to get the Monday off, I just think its too much for me in one day.

Thanks Dave in Hull, I'd love to have ago if we can arrange it some time. I live near Samford bridge near York, So I'm not too far away at all.

Thanks

Dave

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #7 on: 09, April, 2012 - 22:33:38 »
Hi Dave,

I am in Manchester (but work in Leeds) also been working in Full Sutton near you. You are also welcome to have a go if you don't get to Dave in Hull.

Lance