News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Component values please ....  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Punjanaman

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Component values please ....
« on: 27, January, 2013 - 15:31:44 »
Hi Everyone..perhaps this thread should be sub-titled "Things to check BEFORE you knacker your new pod"  :(
I have a separate thread in the chatroom but in essence i have now determined i have a faulty control box.
R1 has 12v in but almost 0v out and the voltage regulator shows 0 volts in (or out obviously).So my question is ...
Is the value of R1 2.2 ohms..the colour code APPEARS to be red/red/gold/gold...is has been decades since i last calculated resistor values and i can no longer rememberr the dirty rhyme to equate colours with numbers, and the circuit diagram states 2R2 which is a method for writing resistor values i have not seen before.
Secondly ...should i source the voltage reg. whilst i get the resistors tomorrow??? Is it likely  the failed resistor will have damaged the regulator also ?..the present Vr is an LM342...will any 5v/3 pin Vr suit or will i need a specific component???
Any ideas ..  oooh another weekend and another planned  first run up in smoke !!!!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Component values please ....
« Reply #1 on: 27, January, 2013 - 16:31:22 »
Hi R1 is indeed 2.2 ohm - an alternative regulator is the LM7805 - It's 50 50 as to this having gone down too - Good luck and let us know how you get on - Marty

Offline Punjanaman

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #2 on: 28, January, 2013 - 20:10:15 »
WOOOOHOOOO !!! it works :D ....picked up a couple of resisitors and a voltage regulator this morning.The guy in the shop checked the Vr and said it was working but i bought a new one just in case .Just soldered in the new R1 resistor, turned the key and BINGO lots of twinkley LEDs.Everything appears to be working as it should, i charged the battery last night and the indicator is showing full charge."Clive" is on the work-bench presently so when the motor runs the green low load LED illuminates but when i put some friction on the tyre the display changed to orange ...WOOOOOHOOOOO iam so chuffed !!!!
The only down-side is i just splashed out £54 for a new pod when the old wasn't broken  :-[
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED ."Clive has taken another step toward the first run! :D
« Last Edit: 28, January, 2013 - 20:14:02 by Punjanaman »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #3 on: 28, January, 2013 - 21:13:40 »

The only down-side is i just splashed out £54 for a new pod when the old wasn't broken  :-[

You can always try to sell it on and at least get some of your money back?

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #4 on: 28, January, 2013 - 22:06:15 »
Well done .....Great .
Chas

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #5 on: 28, January, 2013 - 22:51:46 »
Thats great news - Having a spare working pod is never a bad thing and im sure you would have no problem selling it on here

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #6 on: 29, January, 2013 - 08:41:59 »
Hi there regarding the spare pod if you can afford to keep it then  so don't let it go ...One day you may need it again ...