News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: My Other Vice  (Read 9835 times)

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Re: My Other Vice
« Reply #15 on: 25, December, 2011 - 22:39:59 »
We've got a Wii. Takes up much less space!  :-*

True - modern stuff is far more compact, but older stuff still has a certain appeal. For example, my jukebox is huge considering it only holds 60 records. The crackle and hiss of the needle might not be to every ones taste, but I prefer the "experience" of listening to records over cd's...I reckon it's probably the same with Mikes arcade games. Digital copies just aren't the same ;D

I've got a box of the old 45 singles at home. No longer have a record player though:)

Offline peckishere

• Battery level: 3
    • peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 26, December, 2011 - 11:06:19 »
We've got a Wii. Takes up much less space!  :-*

True - modern stuff is far more compact, but older stuff still has a certain appeal. For example, my jukebox is huge considering it only holds 60 records. The crackle and hiss of the needle might not be to every ones taste, but I prefer the "experience" of listening to records over cd's...I reckon it's probably the same with Mikes arcade games. Digital copies just aren't the same ;D

I've got a box of the old 45 singles at home. No longer have a record player though:)

I have:

SEGA:

Master System MK1 (I have the extremely rare 3d Glasses acessory for the system)
Megadrive MK1
Megadrive MK2
Mega CD mk1
Mega CD mk2
Megadrive 32x
Sega Saturn Mk1
Sega Dreamcast

Nintendo:

NES
SNES
Virtual Boy
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Gameboy Advance
DS Lite
DSi XL
3DS

Sony

Playstation 1 (Rare Bubble Bios Version)
Playstation 3 60gb Version
PSP 3000 in 'vibrant blue'

Atari

Flashback 3

SNK

Neo Geo Pocket Colour

NEC

Turbo Express
Turbo Grafx

Panasonic

3DO

Amstrad

CPC 464 inc B&W monitor

Sinclair

spectrum +2b

Commodore

Amiga CD32

Binatone

TV Master MK IV

Now off the topic of game systems I have 2 turntables which are a sharp vz-2000 boombox with integrated vertical both sides play linear tracking turntable and a technics sl-10 linear tracking turntable. I have more than 100 LPs, 40+ 12" singles and about 70+ 7" singles. I have 3 wind up gramophones with about 300+ 78 rpm records to play. I have an Edison Standard B Phonograph with about 15 cylinders. the machine has a 2/4 Minuit conversion to play all cylinders possible.

Id love an arcade cabinet but somehow I don't think i have the space  :P

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #17 on: 27, December, 2011 - 09:48:33 »
The Neo Geo Pocket is a lovely little machine. You have a great Sega collection there, I don't have the 3d glasses but I have the Japanese Master System which has better FM sound, the 3D port built in and also built in rapid fire.

The MK1 Mega CD and Megadrive look superb together  8)

c515mph

« Reply #18 on: 27, December, 2011 - 22:09:21 »
I have a C.D.I. Machine,with games and a couple of films and music discs.
It must be a collectors piece now,anyone interested in making me an offer,LOL.

Offline Robosoft

• (c) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd
  • You came in that thing? U'r braver than I thought!
    • Sinclair Research
« Reply #19 on: 29, December, 2011 - 01:09:36 »
I had operation wolf in my kitchen I gave it away in the end as the wife said it made the kitchen look like a chippy.

Now pinball that's what I really want.   Very hard to find and expensive.

If any body want fruit machines I have access to loads.

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #20 on: 29, December, 2011 - 17:43:32 »
I wouldnt mind a couple of fruit machines.

Where and how much?

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 30, December, 2011 - 20:32:53 »
I have a C.D.I. Machine,with games and a couple of films and music discs.
It must be a collectors piece now,anyone interested in making me an offer,LOL.

yes if it is still working  :)

c515mph

« Reply #22 on: 30, December, 2011 - 23:00:48 »
Hi,Things are rather up in the air at the moment,as I am preparing for my wife to come home from hospital.
The C.D.I.machine was working fine last time I used it,and it has the Full-Motion-Video adaptore in it.
Also some good games.When I get things settled,I will get it out and make sure it is still in good order.
Getting it to you might be best by us both meeting at one of the C5 events.

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #23 on: 31, December, 2011 - 01:20:29 »
Ok... I'm just going to ask. What the flip is a C.D.I.machine?

c515mph

« Reply #24 on: 31, December, 2011 - 02:23:03 »
Before DVD discs were invented,Phillips invented the first compact video disc.However it only held 1 hour of video,so two disc were required for a film.The player they made  was also a state of the art,games machine,and also could access the internet.
I spent about two thousand pounds on the machine,games,music dvds and films.However,Sony invented a rival system,and so instead of going onto impetition with each other,they merged,and brought out the DVD system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-i
« Last Edit: 31, December, 2011 - 02:32:10 by c515mph »

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #25 on: 31, December, 2011 - 12:39:50 »
Ok... I'm just going to ask. What the flip is a C.D.I.machine?

Interesting fact: In History the Phillips CDI machine Is Linked to the Nintendo SNES and Sony PlayStation 1

Nintendo wanted to produce a CD ROM based add on to the SNES to compete with Sega's Mega CD add on. They first started a partnership with sony and started working on an add on that would be called the Nintendo Super Disc. The profits from the machine and software would be split 50/50 as sony would produce the hardware and the disc medium on which the games would be stored. However Nintendo started to have doubts about the deal and secretly started making a deal with Phillips to produce an add on. Blissfully unaware sony kept developing an add on pouring millions into its development only to receive a very nasty shock in 1991 when at CES (Consumer Electronics Show) Nintendo announced that they were no longer working with sony but instead with phillips on a add on. Naturally Sony was very angry about the situation so they decided to make their own games system. It would Play SNES game cartridges as well as playing CDs and games packaged on CD rom. It was to be called PlayStation. Sony made about 100 units before deciding that the 16 bit tech from the SNES was getting Old and they could do better with their own so they went back to the drawing board and created a 32 bit CD only based system Called PlayStation x which we all know today as the PlayStation 1 / PSone.

Meanwhile Phillips was still working with Nintendo on a CD based add on for the SNES, however Nintendo gave up on the Project and started developing the Ultra 64 (Later renamed Nintendo 64). Phillips However had been given rights by Nintendo to make games with Nintendo characters in them so they decided to make Nintendo licensed Games for their already existing CDi Entertainment system but to this day those games are known as the worst Nintendo based games ever made. In-fact allot of the games were so bad, YouTube ers used clips from the video cut-scenes of the games to make videos known as 'youtube poop' videos

Opening cut-scene of Hotel Mario : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3MNLLzugxU&feature=related

An example of YouTube poop featuring video cut-scenes from CDi games (CONTENT WARNING! CONTAINS SWEAR WORDS, VULGARITY AND MAY NOT MAKE ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER. ALL YOUTUBE POOP VIDEOS ARE LIKE THIS SO I SOURCED ONE WITH THE LEAST SWEAR WORDS AND GENERAL VULGARITY): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIcBJiTlNog&feature=related

Offline Robosoft

• (c) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd
  • You came in that thing? U'r braver than I thought!
    • Sinclair Research
« Reply #26 on: 03, January, 2012 - 20:15:25 »
I wouldnt mind a couple of fruit machines.

Where and how much?

email chriskbox@aol.com

He's a C5 owner as well, he has a shed full of them taking up room.

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #27 on: 03, January, 2012 - 20:55:05 »
Thanks guys! Interesting history.

TBH it's amazing that anything gets made with all the politics in these big companies!

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #28 on: 03, January, 2012 - 22:48:40 »
He's a C5 owner as well, he has a shed full of them taking up room.

Thanks Robosoft! Have emailed him :)

Now, to add to my  other vice

My latest addition, a mini digital pinball table!

A few weeks back I decided it was time to own a digital pinball table, but it just so happened that I wasnt in a position to go full scale!

So I went for smaller scale.

Please enjoy the pics of the progress - This is still very much a work in progress but improvements are really coming along!

dumb setup monitor + laptop by MikeDX, on Flickr

THe prototype box by MikeDX, on Flickr

The base fleshed out by MikeDX, on Flickr

Untitled by MikeDX, on Flickr

back box fitting by MikeDX, on Flickr

Quick video of it in action before it was painted

http://youtu.be/By2Y2kxQ81s

It's a bit weak in places, and I've made mistakes, but its a great little table to play and didnt cost a lot of money as I already had the laptop, second monitor, jpac and buttons.

Enjoy :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #29 on: 04, January, 2012 - 08:06:16 »
Well good stuff Mike, really good work  :)

Retro Andy.