News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: C5 Wanted for restoration  (Read 12909 times)

waran2005

C5 Wanted for restoration
« on: 14, April, 2009 - 10:45:00 »
Hello
     I am a new member of the forum and I am looking for a C5 to restore. I don't expect it for nothing and will pay a fair price for one as long as it is basically complete. Is there anyone on the forum selling one, or is it going to have to be ebay.
     I am not out to make a quick buck, I am genuinely interested and allways have been. I did own one quite a few years ago and now financially I am in a better situation I want one again that I can work on as a project.

Thanks.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: C5 Wanted for restoration
« Reply #1 on: 15, April, 2009 - 13:49:56 »
I think a lot of us have purchased are c5's from e-bay, you dont seem to get alot for money when you buy one for restortation, but its all the fun getting it working again, take a look at mine (Andy's project) it looked a right sorry old state, but the frame was alright and the main bits were all their. I paid £130.00 of ebay and spent about £200.00 restoring it, but it was great fun.

Retro Andy
« Last Edit: 18, April, 2009 - 12:03:45 by Retro Andy »

waran2005

« Reply #2 on: 16, April, 2009 - 17:44:18 »
 ;D Hello
         I have bought a C5 now from ebay but it does look a mess, I don't know if any one had seen it while the listing was active but I eventually purchased it for 117 pounds. When I collect it I will post some photos.
        I think its complete, well has the front wheel cover and I think both hub caps, but does need lots of work. Retro Andy, your C5 looks great, hope I can get mine some where near as good as yours mate. Any advice?
       The one I had years ago was a two battery version, it looked like a factory fitted set up, didn't realize they were that rare, any idea how many were made?
       Can,t wait to collect mine, I will keep you all posted.

Waran.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 16, April, 2009 - 22:41:35 »
Congratulations mate 8)

..at that price you can't go wrong  ;)

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #4 on: 16, April, 2009 - 23:49:32 »
I was watching that one. We really should make an effort club together as buyers to not out-bid eachother! Although my bids didnt reach anywhere near £117!

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 17, April, 2009 - 06:05:21 »
Well done, i know that feeling, the fun part is getting it working again and getting out and about on it, you get a great big smile on your face, all the help you need is on this forum, any parts and technical help get from Karl and Martin, feel free to contact me for a chat, if you e-mail me i will e-mail you my number, looking forward to seeing some photos.

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 17, April, 2009 - 10:10:32 »
Well done, i know that feeling, the fun part is getting it working again and getting out and about on it, you get a great big smile on your face, all the help you need is on this forum, any parts and technical help get from Karl and Martin, feel free to contact me for a chat, if you e-mail me i will e-mail you my number, looking forward to seeing some photos.

Retro Andy.

Martin and I agreed that your C5 was one of the best restorations we had seen, your advice could prove really useful for Warran.

Nice to see the forum doing its job  , putting people in touch with each other to help keep C5's alive 8) .

Makes it all worthwhile  ;)

waran2005

« Reply #7 on: 17, April, 2009 - 22:40:27 »
hello
     Picked up my C5 today and it does look pretty complete except there is no charger which I am not that bothered about. It all looks original, just scratched, dirty and some surface rust on the chassis. All wiring looks untouched and the motor/gearbox is the later type and turns over freely.
    Mine is numbered on the back TR 3 which I thought was a bit strange but then I was told it was one of four that used to be hired out on the beach front many years ago. The guy that sold me his said his mate has the other three and asked if I was interested in those but he wanted payment there and then and I don,t think I have the room or money for another three so they will probably end up on ebay, funny i was only looking for one?
    The front on mine is warped very slightly, has anybody had any success with trying to straighten one out?
    Pictures will follow soon and work will commence, Catcha all tomorrow. PS i think I will try the electrics before I dismantle all, hope there are no problems.

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #8 on: 17, April, 2009 - 22:44:09 »
hello
     Picked up my C5 today and it does look pretty complete except there is no charger which I am not that bothered about. It all looks original, just scratched, dirty and some surface rust on the chassis. All wiring looks untouched and the motor/gearbox is the later type and turns over freely.
    Mine is numbered on the back TR 3 which I thought was a bit strange but then I was told it was one of four that used to be hired out on the beach front many years ago. The guy that sold me his said his mate has the other three and asked if I was interested in those but he wanted payment there and then and I don,t think I have the room or money for another three so they will probably end up on ebay, funny i was only looking for one?
    The front on mine is warped very slightly, has anybody had any success with trying to straighten one out?
    Pictures will follow soon and work will commence, Catcha all tomorrow. PS i think I will try the electrics before I dismantle all, hope there are no problems.

Oooh! How much did he want?
Mark

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 18, April, 2009 - 12:22:33 »
Which beach ? the first time i had a go in a c5 was when i was 14 on holiday with my family, i think it was Paignton, but i'm not sure, i do remember me and my brother going up and down the prom for thirty minutes for a pound and we went on them twice while we were on holiday, i did'nt get to ride one for another twenty one years when i went on the norfolk run last March, it was great fun.
If you look on Martin's site he has some pictures of how to straighten out the front if warped, i did'nt do any testing to mine until it was all stripped down, i cleaned everything, sent the control box and pod to Martin and i cleaned the motor internals, replacing the drive gear and re-greasing bearings etc as i thought if i tryed it first if something was seized, worn or faulty it could cause something to brake.

P.S. Thanks for your kind coments Karl and Martin.

Retro Andy . 

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #10 on: 18, April, 2009 - 13:05:06 »
Another 3? how cool. I'd be interested, especially now that i've heard the condition report on your one.

Cant wait to see some pics and some work in progress reports!

waran2005

« Reply #11 on: 19, April, 2009 - 11:31:42 »
hello
      I am still in the process of stripping it down, i have taken a few photots and will post them later. I have tried the electrics and it is a runner but what is strange is that the instrument pod is not lighting up at all, any one have any ideas why, if the ULA chip was duff i thought it would not even run or have I got this wrong?
      Retro Andy, the C5 I purchased was used in paighton as you said, I may even have been the one you used as a child. The bloke does have the other three, do you remember if they were numbered TR 1 to 4, mine is number 3, and apparantley they have not been used for twenty odd years. I did view the other three and they looked complete but the front on one was severly warped and he told me I could of had the other three for 360 pounds.
      Post the photos later.
                                           waran.

waran2005

« Reply #12 on: 19, April, 2009 - 11:46:59 »
Hello
      Me again, I see there are some people who are interested in purchasing one or more of the remaining C5's that he has. I think his name is Mike Prowse and he runs a self storage buisness I believe and his contact number is 07778 777511. I don't know if he will split them, but that would be fair for other members who wanted one to rebuild.
     If hes not contacted soon they will be on ebay, and I think he would rather not bother doing that if he can help it. They are all white boot models.
                                 Good luck to all those interested. waran.

PS let me know how you all get on.

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #13 on: 19, April, 2009 - 16:30:58 »
I gave the guy a call earlier and I'm now in the process of finding some cash + transport. I might get all 3 depending on how it goes, although most likely I will just get 1.

Cheers for the info Waran!

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 19, April, 2009 - 20:40:37 »
... I have tried the electrics and it is a runner but what is strange is that the instrument pod is not lighting up at all, any one have any ideas why, if the ULA chip was duff i thought it would not even run or have I got this wrong?

..the C5 can run without a pod, check C5Martins site for how to bypass the pod if it fails.

If the pod and control box are known to be okay, then you want to start checking for bad connections etc. First place to start is unplugging the pod and checking the pins (squirt of WD40 or similar ?).

You could send your pod to Martin for bench testing .