News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: £95 C5??? Advice Please!!!  (Read 4646 times)

Jeffers

£95 C5??? Advice Please!!!
« on: 23, August, 2008 - 19:49:07 »
Hello there would like some advice. ???
Been reading about the C5 a lot trying to find one everywhere.
Then in the local paper one was advertised so i went to have a look. :)
He said he wanted £95 for it which for a C5 seems cheap to me, having seen rip off ebay prices…
Now for the issues... kicked myself for not taking a camera for reference later. >:(

So here’s what was missing from what I could see.
1. The back brake needed a new shoe? Not sure if that’s the term. Can these be bought?
2. The front wheel covers were missing. Can these be bought?
3. The instrument pod was missing. Can this be replaced with components today/ replaced with original. (I really liked the idea of seeing how much strain was on the motor) :(
4. Wiring loom missing altogether apart from where it entered the control box (not really an issue was gonna rewire it anyway)
5. Handle bar foam.
6. Thermal cut out wiring (couldn’t see it so presume missing)

Good bits:
Has all the wheels.
Has a drivebelt nicked from a mower. Which seems to fit well.
The motor seen running. :D
Light colour motor clip things not the brittle ones.
Has original documentation… tho he says he’d have to dig it out.
It has the handle bar grips.
Gearbox seemed in good condition.
Has the dark grey boot with the plasticard insert.
The frame seems ok, has been rewelded at some point and recoated in paint.

Minor issues:
The red back light surround was damaged in the top left corner.
Needs all new tyres.
Needs a rewire.
Original push button is missing.
Also the rubber bit below the handlebar was a bit ropey can these be found?

So again its in pieces, any and all views welcome and appreciated.
Said I’d give him an answer tomorrow.

Cheers guys

jomac

Re: £95 C5??? Advice Please!!!
« Reply #1 on: 24, August, 2008 - 06:34:44 »
JUST BUY IT..worry about the small things later.. :D

Jeffers

« Reply #2 on: 24, August, 2008 - 11:57:26 »
Sweet!  :D
Just wanted confirmation that i wasn't insane.

So i guess i'll be uploading pictures either today or tomorrow.

;)

jomac

« Reply #3 on: 24, August, 2008 - 20:13:53 »
Sorry for the very brief reply, i was just dashing out this morning and didnt have time, yes for £95 its a bargain, especially as you have seen the motor work you would pay around that off ebay. Most of the bits you should be able to get from Karl, such as the brake shoes, pods can also be got i think from Karl, but i am not sure if he has the front wheel covers, these are as rare as hens teeth and are worth their weight in gold. Back lights are easily repairable if you have a trashed one, just square up the broken piece and cut a slightly larger piece from a scrap lamp, and VERY carefully wet and dry it so its a snug fit. Super glue into place, when dry wet and dry flat with 1600 grade paper attached to a small block, then polish up with either Duraglit or brasso, you can hardly tell.

Instrument pod, if Karl cannot supply you with one, have a look at OGB's home website, he has fitted a standard off the shelf battery meter to a C5, but if you are handy with a soldering iron, they are so, so simple to build from scratch, i can post  a link.

Rewire, again see Karl, but if you wished to build your own loom (this was the feeling i got from your words, but i may be wrong) Maplins do pretty much most of the connectors used, but one bit of advice with the heavy power connectors from the battery to the controller, and back to the motor, the crimp type, unless you have a ratchet type crimper and not one of the cheapo ones you get from the pound shop, crimp first and then solder afterwards.

Dont forget to post pics, step by step using photobucket, everyone is nosey, and will want to see what you are up to

Good luck

Jeffers

« Reply #4 on: 24, August, 2008 - 20:32:03 »
Hmm if Karl is out there was really looking for a price on the back brake.
Delayed the man by another day while i work out the details of the plan...
Where to put it ect.
 :D

And yeah the wiring loom is pretty much MIA sos will need to make
 a new one from scratch.
Is there a diagram showing the layout?  ???

Other than that looking forward to becmoing part of the community.
 :D :D :D

jomac

« Reply #5 on: 24, August, 2008 - 20:51:15 »
All the answers are here, all of the people to help you are here, SPEND £95 and you will be on the road.

As for the wiring loom, look in the c5alive download section, there isnt a descriptive point to point where to connect each wire drawing, but all of the external connections are very simple.

Look here at the bottom...   http://c5alive.co.uk/downloads2.htm

Any questions just ask, someone will help

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 28, August, 2008 - 13:10:27 »
.. if Karl is out there .....

I'm never that far away matie  ;D

Sometimes though my shift rota does stop me enjoying the fun stuff like C5alive.

I usually browse the forum quite often checking for anything urgent  ;)

As for buying a  £95 C5 ,that's the sort of question that gets a standard answer of "something is always only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it".

Buying replacements parts can be quite expensive, you might get to a stage where buying a better one and using the £95 one as spares might be a better option.

It's all down to the individual and the amount of cash you want to throw at it  8)

At present, I'm holding on to most of my 2nd hand spares to allow me to put a couple more C5's back on the road and sell as complete vehicles. :P

Jeffers

« Reply #7 on: 28, August, 2008 - 21:19:51 »
Hi again, gave up on the idea of that C5 the parts needed would have been too expensive.
But on ebay there was a mislisted C5.
Sinclair C 5 (with the space) lists it in a different category so kudos to ebay for being ridiculous  ;D (thought i'd post this once the auction was finished  :P)
So all in all a complete C5 with all original documentation, charger, wing mirrors and the high vis mast was £180.
Sounded a good deal to me should be picking it up on saturday, and will upload pictures that day  ;D ;D.