News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: exhibition insurance?  (Read 4816 times)

spudit2003

exhibition insurance?
« on: 08, September, 2008 - 22:55:59 »
i recently got my C5 and was wondering if anyone knew about the legal side of taking to shows and stuff in terms of insurance. i dont have any insurance for my C5. obviously usually cars are displayed at these places so have compulsory insurance anyway (when i looked at one show it said any cars coming along needed standard insurance). ive heard about other exhibitors of things needing public liability insurance, eg. to cover you if you accidentally run someone over in your C5. does anyone know anything about this and any idea where to get it and how much it would cost
thanks
Lewes

jomac

Re: exhibition insurance?
« Reply #1 on: 09, September, 2008 - 00:09:28 »
Ive looked at this before, regarding insurance, adrian flux, classic insurance etc they either quote silly prices or suggest you add the C5 to the household insurance, there appears to be NO middle ground, maybe time to rattle a few cages agian for the benefit of others???

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 09, September, 2008 - 10:33:12 »
This may (or may not) help  :-\

http://www.atob.org.uk/electric_legal_.htm

I've also previously looked at C5 insurance before deciding it was too frustrating to sort out  ??? , maybe time to review that.

www.cycleguard.co.uk are used and recommended by   http://www.powabyke.com/.

despite a Sinclair C5 falling well within Cycleguards own definition of an electric bike ;

"Bicycle - any bicycle, tricycle, tandem, trailer cycle or push scooter that is powered by human pedalling and/or battery. The bicycle must not be subject to the requirements of the Road Traffic Act."

.....they still refuse to quote for a C5  ??? :o >:(

I've not let this go and am still continuing my enquiries with them....

Ultimately though, since the C5 is a bicycle, I guess the bottom line is that insurance is not a legal requirement, but is probably a good thing  ;)
« Last Edit: 09, September, 2008 - 10:35:22 by Karl (C5Alive) »

spudit2003

« Reply #3 on: 09, September, 2008 - 11:10:04 »
thanks, ill have a look at the links and see where i get, but from what you've said i wont hold my breath. im mainly interested in exhibiting insurance (cos i think its a legal requirement) but ill email an event organiser and see if i actually need it.
Lewes

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 09, September, 2008 - 13:10:43 »
cycleguard got back to me, they agree the c5 qualifies as an electric bike but still decline to insure one because they can't insure anything over 10years old  ???

For the Brooklands event the organiser has said that there is a possibility of an insurance requirement for use of the test track. At a cost of £2 a head, I've agreed to meet that cost for those forum members who register with me.

There was no requirement for insurance for the C5's on the static display, nor was any required for the Ardingly and Amberley exhibits . It was required for the mini-el, but then that was expected as (unlike the C5) the mini-el is a road registered vehicle.

« Last Edit: 09, September, 2008 - 13:14:42 by Karl (C5Alive) »

spudit2003

« Reply #5 on: 09, September, 2008 - 17:05:17 »
ok, so it looks like exhibiting it shouldnt be a problem then
thanks for your help
Lewes