News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: had a try with one of these betteries  (Read 7536 times)

Karl

Re: had a try with one of these betteries
« Reply #15 on: 22, September, 2010 - 22:19:39 »
Hi, I splashed out and bought a Ping battery off Ebay. Ping builds them to your spec and they are Lifepo4.

Battery spec
Lifepo4
12v
40 Ah
Weight 5kg!!!!

The Results?
Well I get about thirty miles from a charge and you really notice the 10kg weight saving. I Pulled the guts out of the Oldham battery and put the new one inside so it looks original and retains key.

These new Ping batteries really are superb.They cost £350, but will outlast the life of a lead acid more than eight times over.    :)

A superb effort mate, and very impressive.

I've always fancied a dabble with lithium based batteries but never had the spare cash to justify it.

It's good to see them actually being used, rather than just in theory  :D Are they more fragile regards charging ?

alexbromo

« Reply #16 on: 07, December, 2010 - 13:50:02 »
A cluster of four of these Foxx 3.2v cells: http://cgi.ebay.it/Foxx-Power-LiFePo4-40a-Cell-/140350983908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ad920ee4

capacity: 40Ah
weight: 6.5 Kg
price: £142

it appears a lot more attractive.  ::)

Alex Bromo

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #17 on: 08, December, 2010 - 08:23:12 »
Hi all just found this site about the above take a look ..Chas

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=98.0

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #18 on: 09, December, 2010 - 06:26:28 »
The advertised weight for the battery is obviously prior to charging.It weighs significantly more when full of electricity!!!!.

lol that made me laugh :)

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #19 on: 21, December, 2010 - 20:56:59 »
I use a Marine semi traction battery 105 Amps, the specs say you can empty it to 80% of its load many of times, it is about 28 kilo and so big that I sometimes hit the back of my feet against it when I try to pedal  :D
45 miles I already did once, no problemo. Still had 11.50 volts on the meter during the end of the ride, power on, that was about the same when I started. price about 100 pounds.
I'm going to swap it for a 80 amps version because it is about an inch shorter. And obviously shorter.  ;)
There is a 55 amps version also that costs 55 pounds weights about 16 kilo.
Going to try that one for my second C5 that currently drives on a 80amps car battery. Car battery goes faster when its full but drops speed gradually. And they tell me that its bad to empty it more then 50%. Kills the battery.

Frank