News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: toying with Idea for installing rear disc brake/s  (Read 8630 times)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
toying with Idea for installing rear disc brake/s
« on: 15, January, 2010 - 21:40:56 »
hi all,

the following really is some idea's that have been rattling around my single brain cell. the recent weather and being time poor means i've not stripped a C5 down yet, so based on my observations taken mainly from forums photo's.

initially i was looking at installing a disc brake as others have done centrally on the axle. problem being there is not much 'meat' to really support the stresses involved with the caliper in use, and awkward brackets need to be fabricated to overcome this. 

my plan is to fit a support bar from the frame's 'V' to what many fit as a strengthening bar between the frames rear forks, then mount the caliper to it, obviously to line up with the disc rota.

i wondered what others with more C5 moding experience thought?

regs
alan

i was looking at the C5 Restoration photo's in -:

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=913.0;topicseen and noticed the back wheels have

i noticed both rear wheels in the last picture seem to have a boss that has 6 holes, and i wondered will these matched a standard bike disc rota, if so by fitting longer bolts solves the issue of mounting the rota and could possibly allow for a brake both sides.

even if they were different diameter or spacings, it would not be to hard to make a spacer.

if the above worked out, using hydrolic calipers the pressure would be even to both wheels, making braking far less dramatic especially in the wet.

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
Re: toying with Idea for installing rear disc brake/s
« Reply #1 on: 16, January, 2010 - 17:48:42 »

Offline techytype

« Reply #2 on: 16, January, 2010 - 18:24:09 »
brilliant fez,

seems i'm on the right track  ;D

do you still have the dimensions for the adapter so i can get one machined up - or do you do them yoursef?

and do you think it is possible to fit both sides?

regs
alan

Benniz

« Reply #3 on: 20, January, 2010 - 00:58:30 »
Same again Fez do you make these up so they will fit on the c5? give me a email if so

Cheers Ben

Benniz

« Reply #4 on: 20, January, 2010 - 01:01:28 »
Also Fez I am looking to put my bicycle trailer on the sinclair I have the normal hook up but cannot put it on the rear wheel as its two wheels and see you are doing a similar thing, do you have any suggestions on a mod to solve this?

Cheers again

Offline fezza_rs

« Reply #5 on: 20, January, 2010 - 12:34:18 »
Tech: It was one I had made from a design I drew up by a friend of mine. And no its not possible unless you get rid of the standard drive belt and drive sprocket.

Benniz: To fit this disc adapter you have to destroy the plastic cover that the original brake shoes sit in if your happy to do that then your answer is yes they can be made up to order. As for the trailer hitch I haven't made it yet but I can give you some design ideas if you like.

Offline techytype

« Reply #6 on: 20, January, 2010 - 22:29:10 »
Many Thanks Fez,

i want to try out my ideas having bought some box steel for the strut and already having bought a mig welder (as yet unused so can't wait tee! hee!).

how did you mount the brake caliper for your setup?

regs
alan

Offline fezza_rs

« Reply #7 on: 21, January, 2010 - 09:09:45 »
A huge piece of Aluminum L bar with a hole cut in the upright for the axle to pass through and then cut at an angle at the end for the caliper to mount to. Not got no pics at the min as the c5 is covered in bits from my track car!

Offline techytype

« Reply #8 on: 21, January, 2010 - 12:44:33 »
Hi Fezza,

if you get others order that aluminum rear brake boss please add me to the list, no urgency as i have my own option to try, but i know it's better to get a 'run' together when getting small machining done.

regs
alan

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #9 on: 21, January, 2010 - 15:28:20 »
                Hi there have a look at my back brake on my old petrol c5 .
              The aluminium plate was fitted so that the motor could be bolted on

and it worked great

« Last Edit: 21, January, 2010 - 15:42:24 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #10 on: 21, January, 2010 - 15:39:33 »
And here is the front brake without the front wheel covers .And they do fit  (just been on a run and in need of a clean)

Offline techytype

« Reply #11 on: 21, January, 2010 - 18:52:15 »
real stirling work Fezza,
and many thanks for all the info.

i had thought i might fill in the rear frame with a piece of plexi glass mainly to keep the muck out and and water away fom the electrics on wet runs.

i can see in the piccy of the front wheel the bolts are passed through the spokes so just to be clear, did you use 2 x boss's one either side of the front wheel? and did the same boss design fit both rear and front wheels?

if so i best to up my order to 2 or 3 of those boss's - (will that = discount for quantity?  ;D).

regs

Offline fezza_rs

« Reply #12 on: 21, January, 2010 - 21:40:06 »
The pics above are of chas' c5 not mine.

Benniz

« Reply #13 on: 22, January, 2010 - 00:51:34 »
Lovin the front disc brake c5 en, completly skipped my mind to think of doing that! doh

Is there a certin diameter disc you need and will it go straight on or do you need to mod anything

This might be the better solution for me as it looks a lot more simple to do lol

Ben

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #14 on: 22, January, 2010 - 08:11:43 »
Hi Chas can you supply details of the parts used on the front brake- looks a good solution.
« Last Edit: 22, January, 2010 - 09:48:41 by radiomarty »