News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Lost chain tensioner spring :(  (Read 4383 times)

Justin

Lost chain tensioner spring :(
« on: 24, February, 2010 - 08:35:49 »
Hi....I lost the spring from my chain tensioner, any ideas where I can buy a suitable replacement.

Regards

J

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Lost chain tensioner spring :(
« Reply #1 on: 24, February, 2010 - 10:10:23 »
I reckon its only possible to get one form Karl or Adam Harper, I have seen someone selling spare parts on ebay recently, so if Karl can't help then have a look, if all else fails then I'm sure you can find a spring that will do the job, good luck !

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 25, February, 2010 - 10:15:53 »
Justin, you should be able to find a suitable spring at a local DIY store, maybe even B&Q,Homebase etc.

I know C5martin found one on Ebay.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #3 on: 25, February, 2010 - 15:23:06 »
i'd try a wooden clothes peg spring, should be near the same tension if  modified and pressed into service, it's hardly a HiTech device  ???

regs
alan

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 25, February, 2010 - 22:59:17 »
i'd try a wooden clothes peg spring,

regs
alan

..can't quite see that modification working  :-\  The chain tensioner spring is much larger.

I've ordered a selection of springs to see if any of them are suitable. I'm hoping to have something available next week  :)

Offline techytype

« Reply #5 on: 26, February, 2010 - 09:12:38 »
more food for thought than a total solution,

my Dad had no idea of mechanical issues or the money for the repair shop, he considered it a major personal success to be able to use a paper clip.

early childhood i had to learn to be able adapt from what was available if i wanted bikes, skates etc to play with, most of which were bought from second hand market stools, begged or scavenged   ::)

boy, if 'scrap heap challenge' was around then i'd have been a 'miwionar'  ;D

regs
alan

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #6 on: 03, March, 2010 - 18:28:35 »
You will find a replacment here.

Box of springs from Maplins, i think the middle size one is what you want, nearly exact same size and at that price you can't complain and you have lots of springs to do,    Spring things with ....   :o

Well it is SPRING !  :D

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=219939

Offline techytype

« Reply #7 on: 03, March, 2010 - 20:13:17 »
that was a really handy and timely link mr plod, my 'tilt and slide' patio door recently busted a spring that helps the track keep the door back when sliding, looks like a 3" fish hook made from piano wire.

all insured so i called in local DG repair agents for quotes, who state they are no longer made, will cost as much as - so might as well replace with a french door   >:(

yeh! right, i've done a temp job with a bit of my dear behemoths nicker elastic - so should be interesting when she next bends over  :o

one of those springs will sort it with a bit of persuasion (then i'll use another one to fix the door  ;D ).

regs
alan

Offline techytype

« Reply #8 on: 03, March, 2010 - 20:15:26 »
someone is breaking a C5 on Ebay (the philistine) and offering a complete chain tensioner amongst other items.

just thought i'd mention it  :)

regs
alan