News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: 12 V and 24 V option ?  (Read 3053 times)

marra

12 V and 24 V option ?
« on: 08, November, 2010 - 19:44:55 »
Hi. If I were to fit a 24 volt pwm controller, would it be possible to keep the 12 volt original option also fitted. I want to keep the original cont,box + pod so i can use 1 battery for originality,  but also fit a 24 volt twist grip. If i did would to power from the pwm option run through the motor power leads and into the control box and destroy it ? I know I would have to use seperate battery leads. Otherwise im going to have to fit a toggle switch fitted inline with the motor leads. I know this is an odd option to do, but after all isnt this part of having a C5, trying something ' Different'  :P Any sugestions out there.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
Re: 12 V and 24 V option ?
« Reply #1 on: 09, November, 2010 - 22:08:45 »
i have been warned rolling the C5 backwards excessively or at any speed can cause a control box failure (because the motor acts as a dynamo and feeds some voltage backwards), so i'd think the toggle switch would be the safest option.

going to have to be meaty or the current dawn under near stall going up an incline will weld it.

Alan

marra

« Reply #2 on: 09, November, 2010 - 22:43:42 »
thanks for that. contacted someone in the marine ind. he is sending me a 2 way battery switch rated 12/24 volt peak at 1000amp or 300 cont. a ' Plastimo x3 ' model ? a bit pricy at £15 for an isolator switch but i cannot complain. thanks for your input. will give it a try this weekend.

Offline techytype

« Reply #3 on: 10, November, 2010 - 11:45:25 »
just another point, i'm not sure if a 24 volt controller will work at 12 volts you need to check the specifications and allow for any mods if needed for that.

i think my yellow C5 (which is an earlier conversion fitted), has a resistor to be changed to match load/volts etc.

sort of thing worth trying first before you make any major alterations.

i'm pretty sure Karl would know more.

Alan

marra

« Reply #4 on: 10, November, 2010 - 12:05:23 »
The 24 volt controller will be having a seperate 24 volt lifepo4 in the boot or in the right hand foot well. with the 24 volt I would not have the original c/box and pod as 12 volt. thats why i want both fitted. The 24 v will also have a BCM inline with battery so I can see the charge state. this piece is something for the weekend to wake me up.

Offline techytype

« Reply #5 on: 14, November, 2010 - 22:45:17 »
To do that your going to have to switch the motor leads from one system to the other, I think it will mean deciding to do this before going on a ride, or carry two 12v batts with associated Leeds or some tricky relay setups to connect the batts in parallel for 12v the series for 24 volt.

Could give rise to mistakes and dead controller and/or pods. IMHO.

Alan

I'd wonder about the practicalities,