News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Hi all from the deep south  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: Hi all from the deep south
« Reply #15 on: 18, February, 2012 - 10:16:07 »
Hi Rafael,

Nice photos and modifications, welcome to the forum, keep us posted.

Lance

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #16 on: 18, February, 2012 - 12:30:49 »
Hi There - Sounds like you are doing some interesting work - Would love to see your 24v conversions when completed - keep us updated Regards Radiomrty

rafarestaura

« Reply #17 on: 18, February, 2012 - 22:16:55 »
It will be a pleasure to keep you updated about the works, I´ll post them ASAP  :) :).

Regards, Rafael

rafarestaura

« Reply #18 on: 23, February, 2012 - 18:52:25 »
Hi all. Chas, the wheel bracket has arrived today,  ;D ;D ;D, Thank you very much!!!!!!. As this weekend is very long here, four free days, and the weather forecast says sunshine and 20ºC at midday  8) 8) I think I´ll can work at the outside of my workshop and mount the bracket in the wheel and other things and make some photographs of the C5´s 24 volt conversion. I´ll also work in the last details of my new solar and eolic off grid system to feed the workshop and the house, good bye to electricity bills  ;) ;)

Ok, more news soon.

Regards, Rafael
« Last Edit: 23, February, 2012 - 21:07:26 by rafarestaura »

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #19 on: 24, February, 2012 - 17:04:58 »
Hi Rafarestaura,

Nice work you done on this hood. Just took a peek at your film and it looks really great. I was wandering, is the Sinclair holding out well with this extra load? No trouble with the gearbox, or with stopping? Since you live in a mountain area.
It is not to much work to build a 7 gear axle in. Might be handy going uphill.

This is a picture of a possibility, i found on the net, there are more ways to do it. Mine is fitted just like this one. It makes the Sinclair more versatile.

greetz

Frank

rafarestaura

« Reply #20 on: 24, February, 2012 - 21:03:23 »
Hi Frank, thanks for the picture  8), it´s very clear. That´s exactly the work I want to do in my 24 volt adapted C5´s. At the beggining, I tried to get a Rohloff hub gear but the cost (near 800 pounds  :( :() make me search for another options. Actually I´m bidding in an Ebay auction for a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub and I think I can get two units around 100 pounds, that´s better  :D :D.

My C5 run very well with the extra load and the trailer, no stability problems in turns and braking distance don´t increase much. You must think that, when I carry my twin sons, I drive around 10 - 12 mph of speed using a flat bike path and from home to school and back, those are good conditions of running . Another thing will be when I´ll go to the Alhambra with the C5, the moors city in a hill above my city, Granada. That means a climb about 2 miles long and about a 14% of climbing. I´ll post some pictures of that trip, Alhambra is the more visited tourist place in Europe and it´s really an amazing place, if I can recover my breath after the climbing  ;) ;D ;D and that will be a very good test of brakes and other parts, the results here ASAP.

This weekend is four free days here, I´ll do several works in the C5´s and my workshop and I´ll have more news and pictures.

Thanks and regards, Rafael

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #21 on: 25, February, 2012 - 21:19:01 »
That is some serious modifications you have done there. You rear rack looks a hell of a lot more complex than mine. Keep up the good work.

P.S. I have sent you a Facebook friend request, so if you get one through from a young lad with 60s hair & two girls in the profile picture - it will be me :D

rafarestaura

« Reply #22 on: 25, February, 2012 - 23:02:50 »
Hi, I´ve seen your request and I´ve confirm. I´m very happy with the rack, but the top part is a standard rack for scooter Vespa, adapted to C5 chassis, it isn´t difficult to do, you only need a 6 feet long 2 inches wide steel tubing and get the form to attach at the end of the chassis, three nuts and bolts and a few black paint, Taa daa¡¡ it´s done.  ;) ;)

Regards, Rafael

Offline frankev

« Reply #23 on: 28, February, 2012 - 09:03:49 »
Hi Frank, thanks for the picture  8), it´s very clear. That´s exactly the work I want to do in my 24 volt adapted C5´s. At the beggining, I tried to get a Rohloff hub gear but the cost (near 800 pounds  :( :() make me search for another options. Actually I´m bidding in an Ebay auction for a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub and I think I can get two units around 100 pounds, that´s better  :D :D.

Hi Rafarestaura,

We are in the process of making ± 20 pcs. of the metal housing for the shimano 7 gear-axle. (or an other) The price of this axle house, that fits in any existing Sinclair C5 frame will be about €30,-. A secondhand Shimano 7-gear axle costs about €25,-. Some cables, chains, presto. €70,- tops. (and a lot of work).
There are other systems to mount this extra gearbox but over the years, the in this topic chosen construction seemed to be the most strong and durable. The 7 gear option is the nicest because when doing 20 km's per hour in 7th gear you only rotate your pedals once every 24 meters.
The four gear option let you pedal faster. 18 meters in one pedal-stroke. I prefer the comfort of the seven gear 8)

greetz
Frank

rafarestaura

« Reply #24 on: 28, February, 2012 - 17:27:16 »
Hi Frank, keep me updated about the progress of making, I need one, at least; meanwhile I´ll try to get the hub gear and accesories, you are right, seven gears is the best target to increase power of climbing and speed at the same time.

Thanks and regards, Rafael

Offline frankev

« Reply #25 on: 28, February, 2012 - 17:57:23 »
Hi Rafael,

I am trying to adapt the front cog-blade as well. If I could change this into the three blade you usually find in the front on racing bikes, it would make theoretically 21 gears. (You need the blades from a ATB bike, racing bike blades are to narrow)
In the 7 gear edition I use the 1st gear for take off and the 7th gear as soon as I drive. Probably I will use the first and twentyfirst gear only on this next model. ;) :D ;D
I will take the steps needed to get the axle holders. It is not the same one as the one on this picture. (its nicer)

greetz

Frank