News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Chinese scooter type thingy !  (Read 23817 times)

Karl

Chinese scooter type thingy !
« on: 19, October, 2010 - 10:38:01 »
Yet another impulse buy on Ebay....purchased as a non-runner, I was going to harvest some spares off it for a c5 project. Then curiosity got the better of me, and I've got it running  ;D;

..the neighbours kids think it's great and have had it running up and down the road. Personally, I think it is very underpowered and unstable - but then I guess it wasn't built to carry lardy grown ups like me. It is 24v and shows 250w on the motor, but it just doesn't have the same torque as a 250w 12v c5 so I'm not sure how the manufacturers are measuring the power.

I'm still undecided what to do with it  ??? I could still strip it for spares as originally intended, keep it for messing about on at the various shows we go to, or just sell it.....decisions !

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Chinese scooter type thingy !
« Reply #1 on: 20, October, 2010 - 10:56:26 »
Perhaps use it for a while and have some fun first, use it for parts if the need arises, if not then sell it still complete, I think it a good little round around for kids on camp sites etc, I would be interested in it for my kids if you do choose to sell it Karl, for when we go camping.

Retro Andy. 

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 20, October, 2010 - 13:26:11 »
Perhaps use it for a while and have some fun first, use it for parts if the need arises, if not then sell it still complete, I think it a good little round around for kids on camp sites etc, I would be interested in it for my kids if you do choose to sell it Karl, for when we go camping.

Retro Andy. 

If you've any batteries left we could come to an arrangement mate  ;)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #3 on: 20, October, 2010 - 17:28:46 »
I'm interested mate, please send me an e-mail as I think we still have a few left so sounds good to me.

Retro Andy.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 04, November, 2010 - 06:27:29 »
I have been looking at these on e-bay, doe's this one have a light and indicators ? Really looking forward to getting it Karl, as I plan on making a few changes to it during my lunch breaks in the winter for my kids to have a bit of fun on  :)

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 04, November, 2010 - 11:03:08 »
I have been looking at these on e-bay, doe's this one have a light and indicators ? Really looking forward to getting it Karl, as I plan on making a few changes to it during my lunch breaks in the winter for my kids to have a bit of fun on  :)

Retro Andy.

It has all the lights, but not all of them work as they should  ;D.

Front light and brake light are fine, indicators come on and stay on (dont flash) ,rear light doesn't come on. The horn and the brake (it is only fitted with one) also work  8). It was originally purchased as a spares repair non-runner but with its new control box it now powers along quite nicely. I reckon it would be ideal for you as a project to improve and "pimp"  8)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #6 on: 04, November, 2010 - 17:26:06 »
Cool !  :)

Retro Andy.

retroboy

« Reply #7 on: 05, November, 2010 - 18:31:46 »
I had one of these when they first came out a few years ago and thought it was great fun , but the shop spun me a lie when I bought it saying that they had confirmation from West midlands police that it could be used on the road and even showed me a letter. Then while using it a couple of days later I got pulled up in the city centre by the police in a huge Volvo ( embarassing and slightly funny) and was told to walk back with it in hand, The guy had forged a letter to sell them as legal vehicles, I was gutted but got my cash back after I made a fuss.

I think there great if your on private land and have if I were you I would have some fun with it first.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #8 on: 31, December, 2010 - 12:52:56 »
I decided to make the scooter a bit more simple, by removing the power dash display, front light etc, I spent all of £20.00 on a can of silver paint, a pair of mirrors and a new saddle, the kids will get to have some fun along the cycle paths etc on it  ;D

Retro Andy.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #9 on: 31, December, 2010 - 20:08:08 »
GREAT JOB WELL DONE

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 31, December, 2010 - 21:51:48 »
 ;D Superb mate - glad it went to a good home  ;)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #11 on: 01, January, 2011 - 09:33:00 »
Many thanks, forgot to mention that I did keep the horn !  :D (No rude comments please)

Retro Andy.