C5 Help > TECH TIPS from C5Martin

Handle bar stem removal

<< < (2/3) > >>

TRminator:
I'm struggling with this one lads.  I'm quite simply confused and need further help. 

C5MARTIN - you seem to describe attaching the stem bolt and pulling the threaded piece in the steering bearing carrier out from under the vehicle in the following excerpt from your post:-

"If it wont budge - lay C5 on its side - attach the stem bolt to wedge from the underside and screw in stem and then use stem to pull the wedge out."

But BooBoo' pics on the other hand seem to depict that same threaded item being driven up the way.  I've tried using the extensions and hammering up the way from underneath, but nothing budged and because of C5MARTINS piece quoted above I was reluctant to do so with much force in case I'd gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Sorry to be an idiot.
-Kyle

radiomarty:
Hi Kyle - C5Martin is reffering to a threaded nut that the stem bolt locates into which has to drop down and be removed before you can attept to place something inside to remove the stem upwards as Boo Boo is describing.Hope that makes sense  :D

Karl:
In my piccies the c5 is upside down sitting on a black and decker workmate - so you are hammering the handlebar stem from the underside so to speak  :)

TRminator:
Ah!  That coppery "ting" sound you are doubtless hearing is the penny dropping with me!

There's a stem bolt complete with wedged threaded thingy on eBay at the moment and from reading your reply radiomarty and looking at the pic I now see what I have to do.  Unfortunately I've been hammering the wedge deeper into the recess, so I could have a battle on my hands!

Cheers lads.
-Kyle

C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER:
Theres is another way I sometimes use ...Is to cut the top off and hammer the bar  down from the top ...
the only thing when you get it out it will have to be welded back on ..The thing is if you don't get it out you are then in trouble .....the reason I use this way is that  where the taped bolt fits underneath goes on does not get damaged and you are not trying to push it all the way back ...(ps it does not always work )  bye Chas

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version