News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Whashers on the left wheel ?  (Read 4604 times)

Durango2k

Whashers on the left wheel ?
« on: 27, September, 2009 - 18:48:41 »
Hi,

I found 3 whashers there- 2 flat one, which do fit over the stub, and one which is bend, distorted.

I think the later is NOT to be used there this is why it's bent.

How many go in there ?

Carsten

Karl

Re: Whashers on the left wheel ?
« Reply #1 on: 27, September, 2009 - 19:47:00 »
I think you need more than two, but it does vary with each c5;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=156.0

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 28, September, 2009 - 08:25:28 »
Hi,

I found 3 whashers there- 2 flat one, which do fit over the stub, and one which is bend, distorted.

I think the later is NOT to be used there this is why it's bent.

How many go in there ?

Carsten

The bent/distorted washer sounds similar to the ones fitted inside the motor - at the heat sensor end. You can see the two washers in the pictures of the linked thread below ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=368.0

If it is one of those, hopefully it is a spare one and has not been left out during a motor rebuild.

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=368.0

Durango2k

« Reply #3 on: 28, September, 2009 - 20:39:37 »
Hi,

ah, no. What you mean is a spring washer in "w" shape. I really have an oval distorted one.

Y'know, I do restore *cars* (the real thing :-) ) for 20+ yrs now. My current car park consists of a Citroen Sm, a Mercedes 280 Pagoda, an E-Type, and a british kit as weird as the Sinclair: An IMP-powered Concept Centaur from '75. Ah, and a Velosolex. I love strange things so it seems :-).

What I wanted to say is that I can well see wether a washer WAS destroyed or wether it was MADE this way :-)

Durango2k

« Reply #4 on: 28, September, 2009 - 20:41:29 »
What I learned is that I have to pack the axle with washer so I can flatten out the "pipe", so that the big cog would not move left-right. At the moment I think it's a combined problem- bot the big wheel moves a bit, AND the tension is not set 10% correct. But hey, it drives, full speed, with me, 800ish mtrs to work and back, and I am *the star* in the C5. Can life be better ?

Carsten

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #5 on: 28, September, 2009 - 21:27:42 »
Hi I have the worn oval washer on my C5 too ! It was not designed this way it is more than likely due to movement in the washers because of the 'space'. The solution as you correctly say is to add more washers - well done on the trip to work and being the 'star'. Any photo's ?

Durango2k

« Reply #6 on: 28, September, 2009 - 21:50:48 »
Uff, no pics. Will make some the next days I promise !

Carsten

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 28, September, 2009 - 22:25:10 »
Fantastic news mate - glad you are back up and running   8)

Durango2k

« Reply #8 on: 15, October, 2009 - 22:59:30 »
Tonight, I got this one, too.

I did buy a thick spacer, and put it below the large cogwheel.
Now, it does not move anymore.

Then, I did notice that the gearbox is oval shaped- and that the region just below it was sitting ON it, not UNDER it.

I fiddled a bit, and this made world of a difference- now the belt is really tensioned as it should be. I did bend the metal "tongue" a bit, and this sits now better and stronger on the large nylon "latch" which I heard is called a "fence".
Whatever, THIS part is solved, cause it does NOT !!!! click when I hit the button from standstill. With a loaded 72AH battery, and I am 82 Kilos.

Now if only the dammed POD would work...see other post.

Carsten