News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: HEEEELP!!  (Read 17125 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
HEEEELP!!
« on: 14, October, 2009 - 19:47:01 »
 :'(  Something terrible has happened!

I accidentally (yeah yeah), rode off a high kerb this evening and I've somehow ruined my C5!

Please could someone help me?  Out of desparation, and for some emergency re-assurance I'd be willing to hear from anyone who may be able to help.

After parking on the pavement outside a shop, I rode off this evening onto the road via a steep kerb.  I wasn't aware it was about 6 or 7 inches high, and not only did I scrape the underneath, I also came down at the back with a mighty bang (the bang being the weight of the vehicle, not a mechanical bang!)   :'(

I pedalled for a bit, then applied power.  At that moment, I heard the loudest grinding sound you could ever imagine!

I turned the C5 on its side, only to remind myself that the battery was still connected, so there's now some kind of fluid on the footwell.  Is this acid or just water????

Have I damaged the gearbox?  It sounds like I've certainly done something, and I'm terrified it's going to be expensive to fix!!

I peddaled some more, then began to pick up speed.  I tried the motor again, and it worked!  As son as I slowed down and the motor needed to work harder, the grinding sound came back....

Please - sorry to sound desperate (and pathetic), but I do love my C5, and fear I may have ruined it.

I only ask as if I continue riding it as it is, it may get worse!!

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks guys.

Mike
« Last Edit: 14, October, 2009 - 19:49:45 by mike7201 »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: HEEEELP!!
« Reply #1 on: 14, October, 2009 - 20:12:26 »
Don't worry. It sounds like the motor has dropped behinds the fence, what your hearing is belt slip.

You need to loosen the motor, draw it back then forward, making sure the gearbox is sitting on and not behind the plastic strip. This strip is called the fence and is part of the plastic mount which hold the motor to the frame.

Once this is done, you may need to use the motor mod bracket or a cable tie threaded over the fence and though the gaps of the White motor front end ( assuming you have whie finger motor) and the motor body. This in effect stilt the fence bending forward causing the motor to drop down at the gearbox end.  Loosening the belt drive.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 14, October, 2009 - 20:16:09 »
I would like to add that the gearbox acts as an eccentric cam, and twisting the motor anticlockwise (from brushes end) will tighten the belt. A lot of pressure is on the thin plastic fence. This is a common problem. Don't worry.
« Last Edit: 14, October, 2009 - 20:19:10 by Umpa »

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 14, October, 2009 - 21:15:52 »
Make sure you wash out that fluid - if it is acid then it will eat the plastic shell, plus you may need to top up the battery.

Might be worth posting some piccies of the c5 to see if the chassis survived without bending......"Dave" suffered a smilar fate  :(

Offline mike7201

« Reply #4 on: 14, October, 2009 - 21:34:18 »
Thanks so much...  I'll be sure to take a look, and when it's light I'll try and take some pictures.  I won't have a clue if the chassis is bent or not.  Will you know from looking at pictures?

I'll try my best at Umpa's suggestion.  Umpa, do you have any pictures that I could refer to so I know what I'm doing?  I don't know what the 'fance' is.   Do you really think the deafening grinding is what you say it is?  I only ask as it's not a gentle clicking, it sounds like I put pebbles in a food blender!!

Forgive me, I'm not by any means questioning your expertise, but just didn't realise that a belt could make such horrible sounds!  I'm just keen to make sure I have explained the severety of the noise.  It really is terribly loud.

Thanks again Umpa.  I really appreciate it. 

Boo Boo, how do I know if it's acid or water?   It leaked out of the screw caps where they have ventillation holes.  Could that just be water?
 I checked the footwells, and they're dry thank heaven's!
« Last Edit: 14, October, 2009 - 21:37:00 by mike7201 »

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 14, October, 2009 - 22:05:26 »
If it's come out of the battery them I'd assume the worst and assume it is acid.

Check the buyers guide, scroll down for piccies of chassis damage
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=429.0

The "fence" that umpa refers to is the thin plastic "wall" that supports the gearbox. The black bracket in the picture below is holding it in place;

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 14, October, 2009 - 22:16:50 »
Well - as you pedaled and the motor worked OK it suggests a lose belt.  I did think about a bent chassis, but as I have done the same thing as you I think its just the motor fence.  I did not want to alarm you either. No one wants a bent frame !!

As for the acid - I would bet money that it is, I don't know enough to advise on it eating polypropylene - my gut feeling is that the plastic will be OK but I just don't know for sure.  I good rinse with the hose pipe would be a good idea.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 14, October, 2009 - 22:18:26 »
Nice piccy Karl,  I was at work on the iphone and its a real pain tying to post pics.

Offline mike7201

Re: HELP!!
« Reply #8 on: 14, October, 2009 - 22:23:47 »
Thanks so much.  I understand a little better now. 

I've just tried to have a look.

It's too dark & late outside really to see at this moment, and now I've knocked off my other wing mirror in the process of having a look!  Now that's no wing mirrors I have!  No fear though, they're in my 'boot' ready for re-fitting.

It's just not my night tonight.    :-[

I know from seeing the motor the other day that it's a 'white finger' model, so hopefully I'll be able to follow the instructions.

I'm a kinesthetic learner, so learn better through being shown or 'talked through it'.  Then, when I've done something once, I am usually confident to do it again alone.  Hopefully by looking at these images and through the guidance of you legends, I should be ok to resolve as advised.  However, I hope it's ok to post again if I have any problems?

Thanks again.

Much appreciated.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #9 on: 14, October, 2009 - 22:28:49 »
Oh, forgot to mention.  I did text C5Martin to ask for his input too, but that was before you guys replied within minutes of me posting on the forum.  I think i was just so worried, I wanted to clarify what had happened.

After having looked at the images Karl re-directed me to, I can say I don't appear to have a bent chassis, as the rear wheels appear just as they always have.  So, I suppose that's some comfort.

Here's hoping when I come home from work tomorrow I'll be able to fix it.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline mike7201

« Reply #10 on: 14, October, 2009 - 22:32:50 »
As for the acid - I would bet money that it is, I don't know enough to advise on it eating polypropylene - my gut feeling is that the plastic will be OK but I just don't know for sure.  I good rinse with the hose pipe would be a good idea.

Well, I got it all over my hands whatever it was, and it came out of the same holes that you pour distilled water into.  So, if it's acid, I have no marks on me (at the present time), nor is there any scent to it.  I don't know whether acid smells or not, but I haven't suffered any burns or marks, and netiher has my worktop that I placed the battery on as I wiped it dry.

Perhaps I'll not charge it tonight, just to be safe!

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 15, October, 2009 - 08:25:52 »
yes - if its a battery to have to top up then its sulphuric acid.  your going to have to look to see if the plates are exposed to the air, if they are its a good idea to take the battery to  a garage and have it topped up with acid.  If you simply fill it with water you will dilute the acid.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #12 on: 15, October, 2009 - 18:43:01 »
Ok, here goes...  What do you make of these images?  I can't for the life of me see any problems.  Can you???  I should point out that the belt was tight as my wallet!  Trust me, you can't get tighter than that!

I don't really know what to do from here.  Sorry to be a pain.

Oh, in the process of parking it and applying the parking break, the brake cable snapped at the lever! 

Anyone want to buy a C5???

:'(
« Last Edit: 15, October, 2009 - 18:50:19 by mike7201 »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 15, October, 2009 - 20:21:05 »
Nice pics, but sadly I can't see the important bit. What were looking for is the bottom of the brown gearbox to be sat on the White plastic fence.   It's behinds the big White drive cog. The belt will seem tight even if it's not tight e nough.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #14 on: 15, October, 2009 - 22:08:26 »
Oh, so I need to remove the white wheel which the belt goes round is that right?

I saw that there's a checkered piece of white plastic.  A piece with square holes and I think the motor is sat on this.  Would this be what you need to see?

Sorry for my amateurism.