News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: replacement for control box  (Read 4305 times)

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
replacement for control box
« on: 19, June, 2009 - 12:25:17 »
just a quick thought as my box and pod are crap i found out about a local company who make speed controlers this is a pdf of the instructions for the unit i was wondering if you guys could take a look and see if and how it could be used on the c5 cheers guys

http://www.4qd.co.uk/instrs/PDF/300_05b17t.pdf

Offline alan1310

• i wish i was that man
Re: replacement for control box
« Reply #1 on: 19, June, 2009 - 12:33:27 »
thier is also i battery condition indicator on the site that look very much like to c5 one in the pod so i hope this thing might work                          rewiring throughout hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 19, June, 2009 - 18:16:08 »
If you are doing away with the control box and pod, why not just run the c5 off a relay and a switch.

It would save yourself some time and money, but then you'd also have no protection against over-discharging the battery or over heating the motor.

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #3 on: 19, June, 2009 - 23:53:36 »
your better off looking on electric scooter sites like tnc scooters or search scooter speed controller on ebay. 4qd make some brilliant controllers but they are just to heavy duty for a c5 and expensive to! Ive got a 24v 4qd uni8-24 i dont use as it will make a c5 gearbox into a nice melted ball of nylon in about 30 seconds! Tbh if you going to go as far as putting a new controller on you may aswell change the motor to a newer scooter one as they have more power and the battery will last longer!

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #4 on: 20, June, 2009 - 00:53:43 »
I would do as Karl suggests but would use some thing like a amp metre to give an indication of battery state. Fitting 24v controllers is all well and good but they tend to strip the gearbox. For me the idea of having a Sinclair c5 is all about using it on the road, and attending meetings. If you replace the motor with one more than 250w or gear it so it goes faster than 15mph you risk getting a fine or worse.

Still all options are available to you and you should have some fun no matter which route you take.

Offline alan1310

• i wish i was that man
« Reply #5 on: 20, June, 2009 - 11:11:01 »
it would still be 12 volt and also the idea of renewing the pod insides in running through my brain now
i just want to get my c5 back on the road a soon as possible for as cheap as possible with a new baby on way funds are very very low but at the same time i like the  c5 to be original fussy bugger realy
« Last Edit: 20, June, 2009 - 11:17:18 by alan1310 »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #6 on: 20, June, 2009 - 14:38:07 »
I understand dude ! - I like mine original too, one of mine still ues the original block and key.
Babies wow that brings back memorys......lol

You can buy new old pods & control boxes from this shop (I think), and I picked a complete loom from Adam Harper (for  when I do my restore project)