News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: motor stopped working  (Read 4015 times)

hussux

motor stopped working
« on: 18, June, 2011 - 23:39:17 »
I've had a c5 for some time but not had a battery to try it with, i decided to buy a battery and try out the c5 - it's been working for a couple of hours (not constantly) I noticed that the battery indicator was full and the load monitor had an amber light both sides of the display (hopefully this is normal operation).  i had another go in it this afternoon which was working fine for about 5 minutes but then the motor stopped working and the lights on the pod for the load all lit up.  Now everytime I turn on the ignition all the lights light up for both the battery charge and the load. I took a look inside the control box and noticed fs2 (1a fuse) had blown, so i put another in tried again but still all lights lit up and the fuse blown again ....... anybody any ideas why this is happening and or how to fix it? thanks

wubbert

Re: motor stopped working
« Reply #1 on: 19, June, 2011 - 08:29:57 »
maybe you conected it reverse polarity once by accident???
i have a spare one for you !

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #2 on: 19, June, 2011 - 11:45:20 »
Hi there ...

I am at work at the moment, but i will have a look at the Circuit later tonight when i get home, or you can have a look, if you can follow a circuit diag. The circuits for the Control box and POD are in the download part of the C5ALIVE MAIN PAGE.

It will be repairable, just have to  Eliminate a few things that can cause this.

The display you had at the start is correct for a working C5.

John

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #3 on: 19, June, 2011 - 11:47:30 »
Just had a quick look at the circuit, check diode D1 and D4 to start with  8)

Does the fuse blow as you insert it or when you try to motor ? Also was the motor running ok, no strange noises or anything unusual ?

John
« Last Edit: 19, June, 2011 - 11:50:26 by PLOD11 »

hussux

« Reply #4 on: 19, June, 2011 - 12:03:30 »
thanks for those responses
thanks wubbert, how much? - however it was working then just stopped - so absolutely no reverse polarity happened

John - im going to find out if the fuse blows immediately or when the micro switch is pressed

the motor didn't have any strange noises coming from it either, i'll check out those diodes - would it be visually noticeable that the diodes have fried?

thanks again 

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #5 on: 19, June, 2011 - 12:06:37 »
Not always visible, have you got a multi meter ?

Theres not much else on that circuit.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #6 on: 19, June, 2011 - 13:20:59 »
Mine did this when I first got it, and it eneded up being a simple repair in the control box.

Retro Andy

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #7 on: 19, June, 2011 - 17:33:37 »
Hi there just a quick check ...Disconnect the motor leads from the control box and try the motor direct from the battery ...Let us know if it runs ok first .Chas

hussux

« Reply #8 on: 19, June, 2011 - 18:23:22 »
well, bit strange this one; went to maplins this afternoon to get some 1a fuses - replaced it and all was ok???  whereas yesterday when the fuse blown i replaced it and it blown again - everything seems ok now - been on the c5 all afternoon - both sets of pod lights seem to be working ok too however it did start to beep after a good hour - thanks for your responses - great support and community here!

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #9 on: 19, June, 2011 - 18:58:17 »
Watch out for the correct type of fuse - you can get slow blow & quick blow fuses!!!!!!!

Lance

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 19, June, 2011 - 22:28:07 »
If you continue to have snags with the control box, there is always the option of an "exchange" repair  8);
http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=35&osCsid=4880e8be98492364864cc6aaf361f249

hussux

« Reply #11 on: 20, June, 2011 - 08:23:30 »
Thanks lance, made sure they were quick blow

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #12 on: 20, June, 2011 - 08:47:43 »
Glad you have it sorted now, you will always find plenty of help on the forum  8)

joggaeco

« Reply #13 on: 21, October, 2011 - 01:17:44 »
Thanks for all on this discussion, today same happened to mine, the same pod display, which did not work before!

I found intially to get the C5 gong the motor had a stuck bush, that was sorted, and ok.

Today th epod started to work and then then the display as fellwo c5iver oints out,

So I will try the advices here!

One of the othe problem is, when i play with the pod connections, they give difference display, so I gues loose connection to tighten, but it;s good to know the normal is the two amber lights should be on the load indicators and the rest in between flashing.
« Last Edit: 21, October, 2011 - 01:32:34 by joggaeco »