News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: New here and new to C5's  (Read 3411 times)

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
New here and new to C5's
« on: 06, August, 2008 - 13:46:25 »
Hello  :)
My names Darren and i've always thought C5's were cool ever since seeing one driving round a mini show a few years back ( i'm a classic mini person  ;D ).

Over the past few days i've decided i fancy getting something old / classic to play with, with the intention of doing some modds on a limited budget and taking it down the black stuff. I was originally looking at reliant robins, but then i thought about a C5  :o

Now i know that they arn't exactly known for their rapid acceleration and speed, but i thought maybe with a engine of some sorts underneath, and a bit of tweaking, it might be possible ... and raise quite a few eyebrows,  although i don't really fancy playing around with jet engines  ;D

However, on looking around ( and looking at the face of my other half who thinks i'm mad  ;D ), i'm thinking it might be nice to get one and just keep and enjoy it as it is.

If someone out there has managed to transplant an engine into one, then it would certainly interest me, but on the other hand i can see myself taking a standard, legal one round the village  :)

So if it's okay with you guys i think i'll keep popping in, ask a few questions, and maybe get to a meet one day  :)

Darren

Karl

Re: New here and new to C5's
« Reply #1 on: 06, August, 2008 - 21:17:35 »
Hi Darren,

Greetings and welcome to the friendliest C5 forum that I write on  ;D

Over the past few weeks Martin and I have been tweaking a C5 to go as fast as possible  :-X, but having trashed several gearboxes (including a "metal" one) we've decided to stick with 12v  8)

If you want to mod one, you're going to have to deal with the gearbox issue.

In the meantime, get out there and enjoy one of Sir Clive's finest inventions  8)

Offline minidaz

« Reply #2 on: 06, August, 2008 - 22:25:04 »
Hi Karl

Thanks for the welcome.
I take it the gearbox just can't keep up with the extra power / heat generated by the motor.
Maybe i'll just stick to gentle cruising instead  ;D

Talk about going from one extreme to the next. At the beginning of the week i was looking for a budget drag racer, and now i'm posting on a C5 forum  :D :D

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 07, August, 2008 - 08:42:25 »
You're right about the gearbox, all the cogs are nylon type plastic so the extra heat just softens them.Then they change shape,unravel and self-destruct. It has to be said the end result is quite impressive  :o, aswell as quite expensive  :'(

We're looking at alternatives to the standard gearbox,but for now the 24v system has been withdrawn. I dont think there are enough standard gearboxes out there to sacrifice  ::)

Offline minidaz

« Reply #4 on: 07, August, 2008 - 11:37:50 »
All going well, the current plan is to sell a few bits, and then within the next month or so become the proud owner of a C5  :)
I don't mind having one as a project ( depending how far gone ), so going to keep my eye out and see what comes up.

Daz