News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Change of Battery  (Read 3564 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
Change of Battery
« on: 25, April, 2010 - 11:20:26 »
Tried a different battery last night, to the one I'd usually use.  It's a Halfords 12v maintenance free battery.  Not brand new, it was purchased in 2002, but holds better charge than the one I've used since I bought my C5.

My problem is, that when I connect the Halfords battery and switch on the C5 to the 'on with lights' position, the pod is dead, and the front light comes on just a little.

When I switch the C5 to the 'on without lights' position, the pod lights up, and the motor runs normally.

What's happening?

I'm sure I'm connecting the battery the right way round.  I don't think it's possible to connect it wrongly with my C5 wiring kit, but would like to know if others have had similar problems?

Karl

Re: Change of Battery
« Reply #1 on: 25, April, 2010 - 13:04:14 »
You need to make sure you haven't dislodged anything with all the work you had done recently.

Check all the connections are sound , especially the wiring kit relay ,pod ,on/off switch etc. See how you get on.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #2 on: 25, April, 2010 - 13:52:28 »
I forgot to mention.  I tried my old battery afterwards, and it worked perfectly.  The C5 just didn't respond well to the Halfords one.

I'm puzzled.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 25, April, 2010 - 13:55:55 »
Possibly a duff battery mate - I had something similar from a battery that appeared to take a charge but had a bad cell in it.Same problem in the lights on position.The battery went almost flat after a few minutes in the lights off position too
« Last Edit: 25, April, 2010 - 13:59:39 by radiomarty »

Offline mike7201

« Reply #4 on: 25, April, 2010 - 13:59:31 »
Blimey!  Would that explain why it works when the switch is to the right, but not to the left?

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 25, April, 2010 - 14:01:16 »
Try running the motor for a few minutes in lights off  position and see if it loose's charge quickly - if not I'M barking up the wrong tree !!!

Offline mike7201

« Reply #6 on: 25, April, 2010 - 14:03:09 »
Will do - thanks mate.  Can I just clarify that there's no way I can connect the battery the wrong way round is there?

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 25, April, 2010 - 14:15:03 »
If you have the C5alive wiring kit this will prevent any damage caused by putting the battery the wrong way round - however you can still connect it wrong  - ensure you put the positive + connection of the battery to the red connector and the negative - of the battery to the blue one.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #8 on: 25, April, 2010 - 14:17:20 »
That's what I thought.  I did connect it the right way, I'll do as you both suggest.  I'll give it an inspection as best I can, and try it with the motor on to see if it dies quickly.

Either way, the old battery works fine, no matter which way the switch is pressed.

Thanks

Karl

« Reply #9 on: 25, April, 2010 - 21:39:06 »
RadioMarty seems to have the best answer,I reckon an 8 year old battery will be past its best by now.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #10 on: 26, April, 2010 - 21:57:30 »
Any news on this Mike ?

Offline mike7201

« Reply #11 on: 26, April, 2010 - 22:08:19 »
I have to be honest mate I had forgotten all about it!  I'll try again either tomorrow or Wednesday if I can.  I'll run it on the motor for a while and let you know the results.  Ask me Wednesday how I got on, and that'll remind me to do it!!!