News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Rear Wheel Restoration  (Read 2787 times)

andski

Rear Wheel Restoration
« on: 30, April, 2010 - 21:49:55 »
Just wondering if anyone has taken the drum brake/heat dissipator off successfully?

Mine's quite corroded and I'd like to give it some attention. Off the wheel would obviously be a lot easier. If the plastic studs it mounts on are rivetted over then I'll leave it alone.

Thanks,
Andy
« Last Edit: 30, April, 2010 - 21:56:40 by andski »

Karl

Re: Rear Wheel Restoration
« Reply #1 on: 30, April, 2010 - 22:02:15 »
It does come off, but all the stuff is 25years old now so the plastic is getting brittle - I managed to damage one of the "studs" recently so I now leave them alone.

The wheels are interchangeable , it is only the metal work that determines which side of the vehicle it goes.

privet_hedge

« Reply #2 on: 13, May, 2010 - 16:48:56 »
Is the drum actually 'fixed' to the wheel, or is it just 'pushed' onto the plastic studs ? Mine has been off and although fairly easy to push back on now appears to be loose (it wobbles all over the place and binds on the brake shoes).

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 13, May, 2010 - 17:39:50 »
It should be a tight fit, with no play or wobbling at all, after all it is a vital safety component.

Are the plastic studs or the relevant fixing holes damaged ? You could swap the wheels over if they are.