News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Chain Problem  (Read 23573 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
Chain Problem
« on: 25, November, 2009 - 20:21:52 »
Hi all.  Went for a windy ride on my C5 tnight.  All was well, until I was about 5 minutes into the ride.  When pedalling, I noticed a noise on the crank.  It sounded as if it was grinding.  However, it may not have been the crank.

I ignored it, and it carried on.

I pulled over to visit someone, and then rode off shortly after.  When I began to pedal, the chain came right off.  It is was still intact, so I had a go at putting it back on.  To my surprise, I managed it!

About a half-mile later, I pedalled again, and the chain came off again.  This time however, I couldn't get it back on so that it would stay on.

It seems incredibly 'slack', and the tensioner barely touches it.  Has it stretched?  If so, it's happened very quickly.  Don't know what to do.  Have I ruined it?

Karl

Re: Chain Problem
« Reply #1 on: 25, November, 2009 - 21:57:03 »
I think you should start with the chain tensioner, it might need refitting

Offline mike7201

« Reply #2 on: 25, November, 2009 - 22:24:24 »
Thanks mate, I'll have a go when it's light...  Are there any instructions already prepared for this that I could take a look at per chance?

Oh, and anther thing...  When I lean to the right when riding, my right hand side wheel arch rubs on the wheel.  That's not good I know, but it's only slight.  So slight, but still noticeable.

Surely I haven't bent the chassis as well??  Oh heck!

Maybe it's time to give it up before it's so damaged I can't even sell it!
« Last Edit: 25, November, 2009 - 22:26:03 by mike7201 »

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 26, November, 2009 - 09:54:06 »
You don't need instructions for the chain tensioner, just check out some of the piccies on this site and c5martins site (before its deleted..);
http://www.c5martin.co.uk/c5_help.htm

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=310.0

The faults and solutions section is always worth a look  ;)

Wheels rubbing on the wheel arches does not sound good at all. Is this the side you landed on after that bump ? Take a good look at the chassis and check for any creasing , and also look at how the wheel sits within the wheel arch - photo's are in the buyers guide and "Dave requires some treatment" thread;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=429.0

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=578.0

The chain constantly slipping, despite being new, was one of the symptoms of "Dave's" bent chassis.

Hopefully, your chassis is fine and all you need to do is refit the chain tensioner...

« Last Edit: 26, November, 2009 - 09:58:14 by BooBoo »

Offline mike7201

« Reply #4 on: 26, November, 2009 - 13:19:47 »
Cheers mate, I'll have a go at that.  Might need to wait a few days before the weather's better though.  From looking at the pictures, it really does look like my tensioner requires re-fitting or adjusting. 

Is the tensioner something which actually came fitted as an original part, or is it a C5 Alive add-on, to help against chain issues?

Thanks.

Mike

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 26, November, 2009 - 15:21:33 »
The tensioner is a standard Sinclair part...although I have seen some dodgy copies (anyone remember the skateboard wheel ? ).

C5martin made an excellent copy though.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #6 on: 14, December, 2009 - 22:51:10 »
Ok, I managed to find 10 minutes this evening to re-fit the chain.  I couldn't manage by just turning the C5 on its side, so looked in the foot wells, and noticed that the crank covers come off quite easily.

After re-fitting the chain, the tensioner doesn't seem to quite 'reach' the chain.  The chain is still slack, and won't run with the tensioner teeth unless I move the tensioner against the will of the spring.  In doing so, two of the plastic hinges come off, so I put them back on.  Should I arrange to have a link or two taken out of the chain, or should I investigate whethe the chassis is bent?

Thanks,

Mike

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 15, December, 2009 - 18:36:28 »
......After re-fitting the chain, the tensioner doesn't seem to quite 'reach' the chain.  The chain is still slack, and won't run with the tensioner teeth unless I move the tensioner against the will of the spring.  In doing so, two of the plastic hinges come off, so I put them back on.  Should I arrange to have a link or two taken out of the chain, or should I investigate whethe the chassis is bent?

Mike

Sounds like you need to refit the tensioner correctly, check out the piccies on c5martins site;
http://www.c5martin.co.uk/c5_help.htm

I wouldn't be too quick in starting to remove links from the chain as you run the risk of bending the rear axle (which is hollow).

You can tell if a chain is worn out and needs replacing when it starts to slip.   

Offline mike7201

« Reply #8 on: 15, December, 2009 - 19:19:42 »
Many thanks.  In case it has worn out, do you sell replacement chains?

Hoping to get it running again within this week, so that I can put on my santa suit on and ride down through my village and be a 'Santa on a C5'!!

Thanks

Offline noonoo

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #9 on: 15, December, 2009 - 20:54:55 »
c5alive doesnt sell chains, but Adam Harper still sells original spec.

Alternatively a couple of bicycle chains from Halfords will also do the job  :)

Offline mike7201

« Reply #10 on: 15, December, 2009 - 21:00:08 »
Thanks again.  Hopefully I won't need to replace it just yet, but if I do, should I ask for a specific size chain?

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 15, December, 2009 - 21:08:14 »
Not if you buy from Adam  ;D

...if you're going to Halfords or Evans etc then you will need to buy two and join them so as to make one long enough for a C5

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=271.0

Offline mike7201

« Reply #12 on: 15, December, 2009 - 21:36:57 »
Smashing, thanks again.  Hopefully I won't need to replace it yet, but if I do, I'll call Adam for a price.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #13 on: 16, December, 2009 - 17:01:22 »
Well, I took a look today in daylight hours.  My worst fears have been realised.

I'll try and take some pics, but meanwhile this is how the rear right wheel looks...  (Just like the C5alive one did)

Sorry to use someone else's image, but this is pretty much where I am right now...

Should I arrange a C5 funeral?  Don't sugar the pill though.  Is it ruined?

Offline mike7201

« Reply #14 on: 16, December, 2009 - 17:33:26 »
Right...  Here goes...

What do you make of these images?  Please, be gentle, yet truthful!!

This is the left rear wheel.

Now the back right wheel...

And another...

And another...

Here's how the chain looks from the back...

A shot of behind the wheel in question...

Chassis...

Chassis 2...

Chassis 3...

Underneath...

If it is repairable, would anyone be willing to visit, in exchange for a slap up meal, accommodation too if required at the local B&B, all paid for of course.  Or, if anyone's willing to buy it from me I may also be willing to sell it.
« Last Edit: 16, December, 2009 - 17:37:45 by mike7201 »