News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Chain Problem  (Read 23580 times)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Chain Problem
« Reply #15 on: 16, December, 2009 - 18:29:09 »
Hi there it,s obvious that the chassis has had some hammer .I think the only way would be to strip it down and get the chassis welded , or get another one ..and put all the parts back after cleaning sanding spraying ..

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #16 on: 16, December, 2009 - 19:03:53 »
Sadly; that's way beyond my ability.  :'(

You're talking to someone who can't even get the wing mirrors back on!  I'm truly pathetic when it comes to fixes - trust me!

Looks like I went over one pot-hole too many, and that this may be the end of the road for this C5 at the moment.

Anyone want to make an offer for my C5?
« Last Edit: 16, December, 2009 - 19:21:38 by mike7201 »

Durango2k

« Reply #17 on: 16, December, 2009 - 20:22:09 »
I would be interested. How would I get it to germany ?

A possible solution might be to shorten the chain ?

Carsten

Offline techytype

« Reply #18 on: 16, December, 2009 - 20:26:33 »
i would not be so hasty dissing your ability to fix it,

i'm very new to the C5 scene, but one of it's ig attractions for me is you don't need garage full of expensive tools and 5 ton ramp to work on one.

cleaning of the rust on the frame and ancillaries can be done with a power drill and rotary wire brush (wear goggles please), as to the frame damage i don't think it would cost that much to get a local garage to weld and reinforce it, especially if you offer to advertise there name in the yellow stripe for 6 months, the C5 turns heads there's no argument to that ;D.

as for the chain you should be able to buy it by the meter from a decent bike store or on line, a worn chain will have a lot of side ways movement, but also look at the cogs for 'hooking' i.e. the cog teethe are concave on one side - but that would only happen after fairly high mileage use given its mainly powered when rode and the chain is idle.

given the general unloved condition the chain coming off might be sorted out by applying tlc in the shape of WD40 to the chain, tensioner and moving parts, with some machine {3 in one) oil on the chain itself.

if very rusty/mucky remove and soak in paraffin overnight, refit and oil.

the grubby body could be sanded and painted, see threads already running about this but especially the cobolt blue C5 by filcool - "WOW and OMG" just don't do it justice as guide to what can be done with some application and elbow grease - after all, what have you got to loose by trying?

good luck
regs
Alan

Offline mike7201

« Reply #19 on: 16, December, 2009 - 20:53:15 »
A possible solution might be to shorten the chain ?
Carsten
Thanks Carsten, but I have been reliably informed that shortening the chain may not be the best solution.  What's more, it could cripple the rear axle.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #20 on: 16, December, 2009 - 21:01:56 »
i would not be so hasty dissing your ability to fix it,

As to the frame damage i don't think it would cost that much to get a local garage to weld and reinforce it, especially if you offer to advertise there name in the yellow stripe for 6 months, the C5 turns heads there's no argument to that ;D.
Alan

Thanks for that, but I think the chain is fine.  It's well greased, and it's had a lot of WD40 on it today, but it's not that which it the problem.  It's the chassis. 

As for being un-loved, I can assure you I've looked after it to the best of my ability, both pysically and financially.  I always make sure I take care when I'm riding it, but there's always going to be an unexpected incident.  However, whenever I touch anything mechanical which has been greased, then touch the C5 shell, it tends to end up on the shell, and therefore becomes something else which needs sorting!  The chassis rust isn't really an immediate worry for me, but perhaps I could ask a garage whether they'd be willing to take a look.  Just to see if they could straighten it out for me.  Problem is, the last time I left my C5 in the hands of other people, they charged bme about £70 for the privellage!

So, I'lkl hold fire for a moment, then unless I can find anyone willing to spend time dis-mantling the C5 and fixing the chassis, I may have to sell it.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #21 on: 16, December, 2009 - 21:23:27 »
Hi Mike - sorry to hear your having problems - you are right in assuming the chassis is the cause for your chain problems - it clearly is very bent, cracked. The solution is to find a donor chassis or have your's welded using a Tig. I have recently completed a strip down rebuild following the info on this site and it is not too hard. If you take your time and do it step by step i'm sure you'll be able to do it.....We are here to talk you through it.

Karl

« Reply #22 on: 16, December, 2009 - 22:59:33 »
So, I'll hold fire for a moment, then unless I can find anyone willing to spend time dis-mantling the C5 and fixing the chassis, I may have to sell it.

If you're not in a hurry I might be able to sort something out for you in the New Year - looking at February/March time.

Shift work, C5-25 ,re-stocking the club shop and other commitments at home mean I can't fit you in anytime sooner.

Gives you some time to think over whether you want it repaired, which can be done, or call it a day and move on to another c5.

Once Christmas and c5-25 have been and gone , we can look at getting your c5 sorted  8)

Offline mike7201

« Reply #23 on: 16, December, 2009 - 23:14:42 »
Thanks for the re-assuring words mate, but I really don't think I can't manage it.  I find things like this a real worry, and if I'm honest, a bit scary too!  Not in the fun sense, but the thought of stripping my C5 really terrifies me!  How on earth would someone weld it to fix it?  What part would they weld.  Are we talking lots of welding, or are we saying that they'd need to bend it back into shape, then weld it to hold the shape?

I'm the sort of person who takes something apart, only to find that when it's back together again, I suddenly find an essential part still on the floor!  What's more, I haven't the patience to dismantle something so complex.  I'm quick to make mistakes, and even quicker to lose my patience over it and end up getting furious with myself for making a situation worse.  A little bit like when you peel off a scab, thinking it's for the best, then realising you shouldn't have done it, thus leaving a worse injury than before!  However, once I start peeling, I have to carry on to finish the job, otherwise it'll be just left half-done!  Same here.  I couldn't just start it, I'd have to finish it too!

Perhaps i should ask the local garage, or even the local bike shop if they'd be willing to take a look at it as suggested earlier. 

If anyone knows anyone in Dorset who may be wiling to take a look, I'd be happy to chat with them.

Cheers,
Mike

Offline mike7201

« Reply #24 on: 16, December, 2009 - 23:18:56 »
So, I'll hold fire for a moment, then unless I can find anyone willing to spend time dis-mantling the C5 and fixing the chassis, I may have to sell it.

If you're not in a hurry I might be able to sort something out for you in the New Year - looking at February/March time.

Shift work, C5-25 ,re-stocking the club shop and other commitments at home mean I can't fit you in anytime sooner.

Gives you some time to think over whether you want it repaired, which can be done, or call it a day and move on to another c5.

Once Christmas and c5-25 have been and gone , we can look at getting your c5 sorted  8)

Wow!  Thanks mate.  Yes please.  I'd be very grateful for any assistance you'd be able to provide.  However, as I am sure you'll appreicate, my want to ride the C5 again is very strong, so if I can find support locally before March, I will most probably see if I can acheive it.  However, C5's are quite an item, and as such, they need attention from those who know them.  So, if I haven't located anyone between now and then who can weld or repair to a suitable standard, can I book younow provisionally?

Offline mike7201

« Reply #25 on: 16, December, 2009 - 23:28:44 »
Sorry Karl, I need to clarify... 

Firstly, many thanks for the kind offer of help, and yes please is my response.  However, would you be ok for me to try and investigate other sources of repair or fixing in the meantime, to see if I can get it fixed sooner? 

I'm thinking that if I can get it fixed before March, I'll be up and running again, and therefore could save you the hassle of fixing.  Or, on the other hand, if I can't get anyone to look at it before March, would you still be happy to help?  If so, perhaps you'll be able to email me your fees, so I can claculate whether it would be best to keep and fix this C5, or move on to the next like you say.

Thanks again for your continued support.

Mike

Karl

« Reply #26 on: 17, December, 2009 - 09:56:13 »
I've sent you an email mate with another option to consider...

Offline mike7201

« Reply #27 on: 17, December, 2009 - 10:12:09 »
Bless you.  I'll check as soon as I can.  Not at home at the moment, so will check asap.

Offline techytype

« Reply #28 on: 17, December, 2009 - 16:46:20 »
Mike, you could scour ebay for a chassis, set a favorite search for one, i did this and have bought a chassis. my intention is to clean it up ready then transplant as i 'pimp' the shell

Mike is not confident in being able to strip down this C5 and my full respects to him to being able NOT to wade, in and risk getting into deeper waters.

BUT he raises an interesting open question for those who know -:

how long would it take (on average) to strip down ready for a chassis transplant/repair and re-build by a reasonably equipped and competent Sunday Morning mechanic? (based on me if you like  ::)).

Regs
Alan
aLAN

Karl

« Reply #29 on: 17, December, 2009 - 22:57:24 »

how long would it take (on average) to strip down ready for a chassis transplant/repair and re-build by a reasonably equipped and competent Sunday Morning mechanic?

...bit like "how long is a piece of string"  ;D

I took two afternoons, at a leisurely pace, to change over the chassis on "Dave" .That did not involve any paint/repair/bodge jobs - just a straight swap.