News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Chain Problem  (Read 23589 times)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
Re: Chain Problem
« Reply #30 on: 17, December, 2009 - 23:24:55 »
i had imagined about 3 hours to strip down, and 2 - 3 hours to re-assemble, why i grabbed frame to be able to clean and spray it up ready

been a lot of comment in here about separating the C5's handle bars stem, which seems to be a bit pia on most C5's due to rust issues :(

is there definitive way of doing this? or just use brute strength (and a lot of cussing  ;D).

regs
alan

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #31 on: 18, December, 2009 - 06:47:12 »
I think it's more a luck thing with the handle bars - depending on the rust situation - must say I was lucky using the -one holding the front wheel and the other working the handle bars side to side method.

Offline techytype

« Reply #32 on: 18, December, 2009 - 09:06:53 »
thanks Marty,

likely it will be after March time before i can attempt it.

i run a small business in alarms and IT, work is just piling in at the moment. i don't want to get it half done then be stuck without it available for the odd 'blast' for a few months  8).

regs
alan

Offline mike7201

• Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #33 on: 28, December, 2009 - 19:17:59 »
Hi all.  As luck would have it, I've managed to locate someone who's kindly offered to weld and repair my chassis so that I can begin using my C5 again.

However...  One or two questions which I haven't been able to find the answer to so easily this evening.

1.  What kind of metal is the chassis?
2.  Is there a step by step (photos and all) set of instructions on how to get to the chassis for welding?  I need to show the instructions to someone who's a welder by trade, but has never seen a C5 in his life.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #34 on: 28, December, 2009 - 19:57:14 »
Hi Mike - I had a friend weld one recently who used a TIG welder as he said this was the best one for the type of metal

Offline mike7201

« Reply #35 on: 28, December, 2009 - 20:32:35 »
Thanks mate, but what metal is it?

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #36 on: 28, December, 2009 - 21:32:07 »
Might be wrong but think it is a very thin (poss 1mm) mild steel (or fag paper !!!!!)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #37 on: 28, December, 2009 - 23:23:25 »
Yes indeed it is a pressed steel chassis.
To get to it you will need to do a full strip down. See link :
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=241.0

Offline mike7201

« Reply #38 on: 30, December, 2009 - 11:53:49 »
Many thanks.   As well as waiting for someone to take a look at it, I managed to get it to a local car mechanic this morning and he said he could fix it for £30 all in.  He said that he'd need to move the control box though, so before I let him 'at it', is anyone able to assure me that if I follow C5 Martin's wiring instructions, the control box will be simple enough to remove then put back? 

The mechanic said he could fix the chassis without a total strip down, but then he doesn't deal with C5's, so we'll see I guess.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #39 on: 30, December, 2009 - 12:02:53 »
It is quite easy to disconnect the control box - you need a 7mm & 8mm nut runner for the power connections the other connections are just a push fit. Should be no problem.

Karl

« Reply #40 on: 30, December, 2009 - 12:15:23 »
It is quite scary how easily the chassis bends as the metal is very thin but it is difficult to keep the box section intact. For £30 it's certainly worth a try. If it all goes wrong, given the damage yours already has, it's unlikely he could make it any worse.

In the end , even if you still end up having to do a chassis change you're not really any worse off for having tried the cheaper alternative  8)

Offline mike7201

« Reply #41 on: 30, December, 2009 - 15:47:58 »
Thanks guys.

Will keep you posted.  Got my 30th birthday coming up in January, so we'll see what that brings!  My family and friends know I'm a C5 enthusiast, so perhaps if I don't manage to get my C5 fixed, I may be able to start saving for another one.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline mike7201

« Reply #42 on: 05, January, 2010 - 11:19:29 »
Well, it's in the garage!  I pushed it to the garage, and they're treating it like any other road-going vehicle, in that they're giving it its own space in the repair shop, and they'll be working on it at a specified appointment time.

It's funny though.  I still love to see the looks on peoples faces when I take it somewhere.

Despite being a fully knowledgeable mechanic, I thought I should point out to the guy that the C5 shouldn't be reversed!  Nothing worse than having it fixed, only to find they pushed it backwards and destroyed the electrics.

Karl

« Reply #43 on: 05, January, 2010 - 12:07:13 »
sounds like you're making some progress, let us know how you get on.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #44 on: 05, January, 2010 - 13:44:55 »
Done!!  8)

Just had a call to say the work is complete, and the C5 is awaiting collection.  I am guessing that if it's fixed, the chain should not slip any more, thus allowing me to pedal.

I'm rather excited about this.

I'll update when I can.